Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What Is The Blackest Of Black Paint?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^No it will not it will be adding pearl to it and make it lighter. you can get some concentrate for like 29$ its not expensive at all. Its called KK05 cobalt blue.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

My black is pretty damn black (pics don't really pick it up that well though). It's a Ferrari black (PPG base over black sealer). I too wanted the darkest black.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/717503-finally-some-progress-my-third-gen.html
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

As a professional painter that mixes my own paint I can tell you what SOME others have said already. Daimler/Chrysler does indeed have one of the blackest blacks if you go by paint used on vehicles from the factory. This includes everything from a Benzo to your Grandpa's Dodge Ram. The code is PX8 and the only tint used is BLACK. The same goes for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and a few others.
Believe it or not, all other blacks contain other colors such as WHITE, BLUE, GREEN, RED, and even BROWN!! YOu need a true black paint to get the results you are after. I use this on T/As all the time as well as any customer wanting the deepest black available.
Now it DOES need to be a BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT application to achieve this luster. A single stage can be buffed and look beautiful, but these paints DO NOT have the U.V. inhibitors needed to prevent fade and need for constant buffing. Who wants to buff their ride all the time? Clear provides and unmatched gloss as well. As far as clearcoats no more than 3 wet coats is needed contrary to popular belief. More than that at one time can cause delamination problems as well as lifting. Use a top quality clear such as PPG,NEXA,DuPONT, SIKKENS, HOK to name a few. Hit me up if you have any more ?s
Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

I have heard that the black Bentley uses is one of the darkest, not sure if thats true
Old 10-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fast377
My black is pretty damn black (pics don't really pick it up that well though). It's a Ferrari black (PPG base over black sealer). I too wanted the darkest black.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717503
holy crap thats freakin black, what do you mean its a Ferrari black??
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
holy crap thats freakin black, what do you mean its a Ferrari black??
It's the black that Ferrari uses on some cars from '9x-'07 or something like that. Just used that paint code and mixed up some PPG base and went to town. It's also buried under many coats of PPG clear.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Default paint

if you put 3 coats of clear and sand it flat and put 2 more coats you will love it
Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
As a professional painter that mixes my own paint I can tell you what SOME others have said already. Daimler/Chrysler does indeed have one of the blackest blacks if you go by paint used on vehicles from the factory. This includes everything from a Benzo to your Grandpa's Dodge Ram. The code is PX8 and the only tint used is BLACK. The same goes for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and a few others.
Believe it or not, all other blacks contain other colors such as WHITE, BLUE, GREEN, RED, and even BROWN!! YOu need a true black paint to get the results you are after. I use this on T/As all the time as well as any customer wanting the deepest black available.
Now it DOES need to be a BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT application to achieve this luster. A single stage can be buffed and look beautiful, but these paints DO NOT have the U.V. inhibitors needed to prevent fade and need for constant buffing. Who wants to buff their ride all the time? Clear provides and unmatched gloss as well. As far as clearcoats no more than 3 wet coats is needed contrary to popular belief. More than that at one time can cause delamination problems as well as lifting. Use a top quality clear such as PPG,NEXA,DuPONT, SIKKENS, HOK to name a few. Hit me up if you have any more ?s
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

on the clear issue it does'nt matter how many coats you put on as long as u cut and buff it down glass smooth its fine. you sure dont want it to think.

and for the paint. i just sprayed my Z thursday with nason straight black with a couple caps of kandy blue concentrate and its amazing.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Launching!

we definetely need pics in this thread
Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
This is the best answer yet. Using just the black toner as your base coat with 3 coats of clear will get it done.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

mines has the MB040 colour with the glasurit45 scratchfree clear code, and the wafes in the plastic worked down,

huge diffirent from stock

Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

look at page 2 of my cardomain page for my truck, linked in my sig. Weused a BMW paint on it, and while it does have bue, silver and purple metal flakes in it, it is one of thdeepest, darkest blacks I have ever seen as long as you're not right up on it. Here's a pic or 2 to show you the differences depending on light. I LOVE this paint:

this is a shot of the door, at night time:

Name:  paint.jpg
Views: 10166
Size:  13.9 KB

and... with the superlight on:
Name:  paint-f.jpg
Views: 9823
Size:  30.8 KB
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

the deepest of all blacks is just base coat black that's what i'm putting on my car
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

like stated earlier different brands have slightly different tint to them. and add some candy blue concentrate. its amazing the diff
Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

onxy!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Satin or Semi Gloss like a Hot Rod.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

does anyone know where to buy or what the paint code is for the ppg triple black or the Ferrari black?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

Chrysler 9300 is about as black as it gets IMO
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VAMPDLIGHT
does anyone know where to buy or what the paint code is for the ppg triple black or the Ferrari black?
I believe the one I used is 95150 (PPG Ferrari black). I don't have a can handy to look at, but I'm pretty sure that's right. It's absolutely beautiful.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

IMHO there is nothing better than house of kolor

1225297619.jpg?t=1225297685

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Is The Blackest Of Black Paint?