Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does everybody think about goodyear slicks?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default what does everybody think about goodyear slicks?

i've seen a lot of fast cars run goodyear slicks and was wondering if there was a reason why they aren't as common as hoosiers or et drags? What are everybody's thoughts on goodyear slicks? I was looking at a 28X10.5X15 tire.. it is D3 compound which is their harder slick for manuals cars

Brand: Goodyear Racing GDY-2502 Tires
Product Line: Goodyear Eagle Dragway Special Slicks
Part Type: Tires
Tire Size: 28.00 x 10.50-15
Rim Diameter (in): 15 in.
Sidewall Style: Yellow letters
Tire Construction: Bias-ply
Directional: No
Tire Diameter (in): 28.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Rim Width (in): 10.00 in.
Tread Width (in): 10.70 in.
Section Width (in): 12.50 in.
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern: No
Tube Required: Yes
Tire Compound: D-3
DOT-Approved: No
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally love those tires. Best one's I've ran to date.
They hook like crazy off the transbrake and not real squirley up top like the softer compound tires.
My best 60' on those tires was a 1.32 and they would hook on a bad track and in the cold weather as well.
Similar weather conditions and same car set up with the MT stiff sidewalls I could only get a best 60' of 1.40.
-Absolutely recommend them, you won't be sorry.
Also you can order from Jegs or Summit and you don't have to worry about roll out differences either.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with everything Tektrans said. Hes right they hook like a **** in some of the worst conditions. One thing I also notice is they last a long time. My best 60 is 1.33 and they were 3 yrs old when i cut that.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

In my area & group of buddies small tire guys all use M/T or Hoosier. They just seem to work better. I also heard they both last longer.

The Pro's all use goodyear & a few Hoosier. I use either on my fast car. Both work great. Used Goodyear the 1st year, Hoosier after that. I would say try it, if the other guys say it works for them, then go for it. As you even said, they are not as common on small tire cars, there must be a reason. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

If they can get John Forces car to hook.....I am pretty sure that they can get our cars to hook.

No personal experience though
Old 01-04-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

cool, thanks guys. i think i will give them a try. they are about 20 bucks more expensive each, which ain't much, but it may be one of the reasons why people run the other tires such as et drags and hoosiers more often. glad to hear that they hook when its cold out and in bad track conditions!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

most people that run m/t's use them for the stiffer sidewall, most f body,s are pretty heavy, atleast for a drag car, I have notice that tires seem to be regional for some reason, though. In new york where i used to live 90% of the cars had goodyears, didnt matter small tire or big tire, down in the south (ga) most have m/t's strangely enough in the middle of the eastern seaboard i see alot of hoosers, so I have to agree with try them and see if they work for you, They have been in the business along time, and sometimes a car will like one tire more than another, so post a review when you run them!
Old 01-05-2008, 02:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
Also you can order from Jegs or Summit and you don't have to worry about roll out differences either.

Just because there marked the same doesnt mean they truely are. Hoosier by far is the worst about this. To answer the op's question, yes, goodyear does make a nice slick.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:52 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by promod1955
Just because there marked the same doesnt mean they truely are. Hoosier by far is the worst about this. To answer the op's question, yes, goodyear does make a nice slick.
Yes I know that but in my experience MT is the worst, 2" rollout difference on 2 different orders.
The Goodyears I ordered were always right on, that's why I said that.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't imagin any tire manufacture sending out a set of tires that far off. Going up an inch in sidewall height would about a 2" difference. Did you call m/t and ask them about that? Im sure they would try to work something out with you.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by promod1955
I can't imagin any tire manufacture sending out a set of tires that far off. Going up an inch in sidewall height would about a 2" difference. Did you call m/t and ask them about that? Im sure they would try to work something out with you.
I just returned them to Summit and asked for a new set. The new set came and was off just as bad as the first. 2" on the rollout and you could see the difference side by side as well. That's when I ordered the GoodYears because I was frustrated with the MT's and it worked out for me. And the rollout on the 2nd set of GY's was dead on as well.
I would not order another set of bias ply slicks from summit/jegs (except for the GY's based on my experience) because I don't think these guys are checking the rollout before sending them to the customer.
I did run MT drag radials for a while and was very happy with them. Not bashing MT or anything, not at all.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike#9
If they can get John Forces car to hook.....I am pretty sure that they can get our cars to hook.
That's as bad as saying "They've got cars running in the 7s on BFG drag radials, so I should be able to hook easily on them!" Too many variable differences but I know what angle you were going for with the statement.

I've never run anything but M/T, and everyone in my racing group, as well as most people at my track run M/T. It seems most dragsters like Hoosiers, but I don't see many Good Year slicks. As already mentioned, if you look at most smaller tire cars (including Stock and Super Stock and most NMCA 8-9 second classes), most will run M/T or Hoosier although I have seen a few Good Years herre and there.

Derek

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what does everybody think about goodyear slicks?