Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker help with 1999 firebird (monsoon)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker help with 1999 firebird (monsoon)

Hey guys,

I need some help replacing some speakers in my car. I came across the monsoon FAQ sticky and wanted to ask about this posting in particular... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....31&postcount=7

There it says...
Tan...Left Sub +
White...Left Sub -
Dark Blue with White...Left Sub +
Light Green with Black...Left Sub -
Are these different signals or reduntant?
Why are there two Left Sub + and two Left Sub -?

The speakers I bought only have two wires on them.
What I wound up doing was pairing the two positives together and the two negatives together and connected the new speaker.
Is this wrong?

Thanks in advance,
~Eric
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The right side also has two positive and two negative wires. The subs in Firebirds are dual voice coil - they have two separate coils of wire around the magnet so they have two of each terminal.

Connecting the wires together and attaching them to some aftermarket speaker is definitely wrong. In effect, you are bridging two channels of a Monsoon amp that isn't designed for bridging. Turn up the volume and watch for the smoke from the right quarter area near the spare. Electronic devices only have so much smoke in them and when you let it out they won't work anymore.

You should either use only one of the two pairs on each side or you should get a proper DVC replacement sub.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:30 AM

Thanks. I figured the guy at circuit city didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Where could I pick up a pair of cheap replacement DVC speakers? I didn't think I saw any at circuit city.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The right side also has two positive and two negative wires. The subs in Firebirds are dual voice coil - they have two separate coils of wire around the magnet so they have two of each terminal.

Connecting the wires together and attaching them to some aftermarket speaker is definitely wrong. In effect, you are bridging two channels of a Monsoon amp that isn't designed for bridging. Turn up the volume and watch for the smoke from the right quarter area near the spare. Electronic devices only have so much smoke in them and when you let it out they won't work anymore.

You should either use only one of the two pairs on each side or you should get a proper DVC replacement sub.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Depends on what you call "cheap". A popular aftermarket DVC 6.5" sub is the eD 7kv.2 (formerly EU-700). It wires up just like stock but it's a little deeper so it requires a spacer for mounting. I have a pair in my car and they are amazing compared to stock (even running off the stock Monsoon amp). They cost $65 each but they're on backorder until mid-January. Factory replacements are $70 each at the dealer - about half that online.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a DVC 6.5" sub those are the only options. I searched high and low for a company that I could buy from that had a DVC 6.5" sub and they just don't exist anymore. I even tryed to see if CDT would make me some...no dice yet on that one either.
I was able to find some home theater type speakers that are dvc in a 6.5" version that are 3-way but they are also 8ohm speakers so it would defeat the purpose.
As far as I have been able to find eD is the only car audio company that makes a DVC 6.5" sub.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks,

I searched eBay and found this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-p...ayphotohosting
$82 for a pair so it is about half if you were saying they were $70 each from factory.
They also said that this is a new design and less likely to fail.

~Eric

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Depends on what you call "cheap". A popular aftermarket DVC 6.5" sub is the eD 7kv.2 (formerly EU-700). It wires up just like stock but it's a little deeper so it requires a spacer for mounting. I have a pair in my car and they are amazing compared to stock (even running off the stock Monsoon amp). They cost $65 each but they're on backorder until mid-January. Factory replacements are $70 each at the dealer - about half that online.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those have been out for a little while now. They are no different then the ones you took out so the "new design" is BS. However, they will work as replacements of course but I thought you should know. They will fail just like the others. The stockers always do but choices are limited so...

Quick Reply: Speaker help with 1999 firebird (monsoon)