Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whole c5 chassis under truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool whole c5 chassis under truck

well i just recently i got a great deal on a 1998 rolling corvette chassis my plan is to put a truck body on it . the truck that i have is a 1974 GMC cheyenne at first i was just going to use the motor,tranny,rearend,and disc brakes all around. then got to thinking that it might be easy to just use the whole chassis. i got just about everything like the complete harness inside and out with all sensors and the insterment cluster,ecu and all other good stuff you can think of . i just want to mount the cab of the truck onto the chassis and then work around that. but i know that it will be harder than it sounds so i just wanted to know if any one has some info on the swap or any advice or any thoughts you guys might have my girl has the camera with all the pics so when she gets here i will post them
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

If you can work some 2by3 and 2by2 tubing, you can bridge the 2 subframes and make a cab and bed mounting section (ie complete frame)
Old 12-06-2007, 01:57 PM

That's a wierd mix, good luck with it.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go for it there was a guy who did something similar a while ago and posted here. Cant find the thread but here are some pics.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Launching!

This would be so much better if the chassis was put under a car. I simply don't see the point of doing this with a truck.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
This would be so much better if the chassis was put under a car. I simply don't see the point of doing this with a truck.
For the same reason you would put the chassis under a car.....to make a unique, fast, and well handling vehicle. I simply don't see how the body style on the outside makes the overall vehicle any better or worse...??

I say go for it.. Looks like an awesome project!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Do you have the frame of the car? Or just the frontsubframe, torquetube, ad rear subframe section as your rolling chassis?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Teching In

I am doin this with a 68 Camaro but I am making my frame from scratch. I think it will benefit you if you use the subframes and and made a frame for the truck and make to where you can bolt the subframes on. http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com/ has done a 57 chevy truck i believe with a C5/C6 chassis. That can give you a better idea on how it can be done.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:21 PM

well i got the camera and here are some pics thay are from last month and sence then i got the whole truck cab and bed off the truck chassis and i have choped down the c5 to mostly frame and parts now i think i should chop off the brackets that hold the truck cab in place and mount them onto the c5 chassis but someone had told me that the c5 chassis was aluminum so i am not sure how the best way to do this is like weld or just drill holes in the c5 chassis and bolt on. then the floor of the truck cab might have to be cut out for the torque tube but i was thinking of useing the floor of the vette because it is still there and the truck floor needs to be reworked because of some cancer here and there. and the reason that i am picking a truck to do this to is because my dad past away in january and the only thing that he gave to me that is still mine is this truck so if i am going to do something to the truck why not this. i know i will keep it forever and how oftin do you see something like this cruseing through main street. for some reason the pics are too big for the fourm and i cant attach them so as soon as i work it all out i will post them
Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Launching!

The C5 frame is steel, only the C6 ZO6 chassis is aluminum.

Those trucks look best with the stock ride height. To do this conversion properly using the C5 chassis will require that it be dropped to low rider ride height and IMO that completely ruins the look of the truck.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay 74sportruck

Did you nab your avatar from my shop's web site

R^3
Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 PM

i want to try to keep a stockish ride hight but not try to go too low.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:41 PM

i'v have seen the thread of the 57 truck that those pics are from that Schitzo put up but i only seen it once then couldent find it again and i have the the same setup just diffrent body style

Quick Reply: whole c5 chassis under truck