Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Radiator

Old 08-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cracked Radiator

As the title saids, my radiator is cracked. This morning i went out to my car and noticed a good amount of fluid on the ground under the passenger side of the front bumper. After letting the car warm up, I noticed coolant leaking pretty steady out of a 3 inch vertical crack in the radiator.

What could have caused the crack in the radiator?
Should I just replace it with another stock one?
How difficult is it to replace?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Had the same thing happen last year. Got a replacement at autozone for around $200. So far so good.

ETA Install was easy.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bmax
Had the same thing happen last year. Got a replacement at autozone for around $200. So far so good.

ETA Install was easy.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if this was a common occurence or not. I was thinking, since i have to replace it anyway, I might as well upgrade it with a better cooling/flowing radiator. I was also searching installuniversity.com for directions on swapping out the radiator, but I can't find the link.

Any ideas on the link, or which radiator to go with? Or is a radiator just a radiator?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

get an LT1 rad. They have better cooling capacity. SLP sells the LT1 rads as LS1 "high capacity" radiators, or they used to.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
get an LT1 rad. They have better cooling capacity. SLP sells the LT1 rads as LS1 "high capacity" radiators, or they used to.
Thanks. I'll check that out. From the looks of it, swapping out the radiator doesn't look too bad.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The radiator is an easy swap...messy, but easy to do. SLP no longer sells the LT1 radiator modified to fit the LS1 (they just plug up a couple extra holes).

The plastic radiators have been known to crack. I got a BeCool radiator just for that reason, but it is not an easy install since the radiator is so much larger. I had to do some clearancing of the fan shroud, and the lip on the bottom radiator support had to be bent flat. It will fit though, even with an electric water pump. Hopefully, that will be the last radiator I'll ever have to buy.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The radiator is an easy swap...messy, but easy to do. SLP no longer sells the LT1 radiator modified to fit the LS1 (they just plug up a couple extra holes).

The plastic radiators have been known to crack. I got a BeCool radiator just for that reason, but it is not an easy install since the radiator is so much larger. I had to do some clearancing of the fan shroud, and the lip on the bottom radiator support had to be bent flat. It will fit though, even with an electric water pump. Hopefully, that will be the last radiator I'll ever have to buy.
That's exactly why I wanted to upgrade, to make sure that this will be the only time I will ever have to go through this. Did you get the BeCool radiator similar to this one?WS6store.com
Old 08-04-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

I got the Be Cool radiator as well Part # 60028... Unlike MeentSS02 though I thought it was a VERY simple install and everything fit really well... He has an electric water pump though so I'm sure that made it a little tougher for him...

the trimming of the radiator shroud took all of 20 seconds with a drimmel tool, and the bottom radiator support wasn't a problem with a pair of channel locks and 5 minutes later everything fit fine...

The Be Cool unit is MUCH MUCH BETTER than the stock or even the LT1 radiator... I live in Phoenix so cooling is a major deal to me... I also installed the 160 T-Stat with water wetter and a fan tune... no issues what so ever, and my temp stays nice and cool...

here's some pics for comparison...

P.S. oh yea and the reason I swapped radiator was the same reason as you... one day I noticed a fat crack in the plastic on the stock radiator...
Old 08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5.7 Reasons
That's exactly why I wanted to upgrade, to make sure that this will be the only time I will ever have to go through this. Did you get the BeCool radiator similar to this one?WS6store.com
that looks like the same one... just make sure it's part number 60028... I got mine from Summit...
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
that looks like the same one... just make sure it's part number 60028... I got mine from Summit...
I appreciate the reply, and thanks for the pics. I'm pretty much sold on the BeCool Radiator now. I'm definetly going to replacing the thermostat as well. While I'm at it, should I be replacing any hoses leading to or from the radiator?

Thank goodness I noticed the crack at home, instead of in the middle of a road trip.

Last edited by 5.7 Reasons; 08-04-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I appreciate the reply, and thanks for the pics. I'm pretty much sold on the BeCool Radiator now. I'm definetly going to replacing the thermostat as well. While I'm at it, should I be replacing any hoses leading to or from the radiator?

Thanks goodness I noticed the crack at home, instead of in the middle of a road trip.
Yea I would definately put new fresh upper and lower radiator hoses on while your at it...

just a tip... most places price match, so I'd do some research on pricing and then go to one of our sponsers and pick it up

on a side note, I don't know how you feel about the GM Dexcool coolant... I personally hated it cuz it coagulated and gunked up my whole coolant system... so during the swap I took advantage of the problem and flushed the system completely then put in some of the Prestone Extended Performance/Life bright Greenish Yellow coolant instead... says it's safe for all engines including aluminum... so far no problems, and I don't have to worry about the gunk problem... just my .02 cents...
Old 08-04-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

One thing I wish I could find is a stainless braided lower radiator hose... The GM and Goodyear lower rubber hoses are crap and i'm constantly worried it's going to burst, not to mention the mold design makes it a good candidate for collapsing...

I know Spectre Performance makes braided radiator hoses but not sure which one if any would fit...
Old 08-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I would definately put new fresh upper and lower radiator hoses on while your at it...

just a tip... most places price match, so I'd do some research on pricing and then go to one of our sponsers and pick it up

on a side note, I don't know how you feel about the GM Dexcool coolant... I personally hated it cuz it coagulated and gunked up my whole coolant system... so during the swap I took advantage of the problem and flushed the system completely then put in some of the Prestone Extended Performance/Life bright Greenish Yellow coolant instead... says it's safe for all engines including aluminum... so far no problems, and I don't have to worry about the gunk problem... just my .02 cents...
Thanks for lookout on the price matching thing. I just bought two gallons of the Prestone version GM Dexcool, I didn't realize it actually gunks up the system. I was about two seconds away from picking up the Prestone Extended Performance, until I walked around the aisle and saw the other stuff.

This is my 1st issue with my cooling system, I've been running Dexcool for a while. I still have the reciept, so I need to swap the orange for the light green?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG

click on "plumbing" then "radiator hoses"
Old 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for lookout on the price matching thing. I just bought two gallons of the Prestone version GM Dexcool, I didn't realize it actually gunks up the system. I was about two seconds away from picking up the Prestone Extended Performance, until I walked around the aisle and saw the other stuff.

This is my 1st issue with my cooling system, I've been running Dexcool for a while. I still have the reciept, so I need to swap the orange for the light green?

It's all preference... some guys on here swear the Dexcool is made by God... I'm just saying that in my case the Dexcool clogged up my cooling system sooooo bad I had to have it flushed multiple times and even had to get a wet/dry shop vac out to suck up all the coagulated crap out of my overflow/reservoir tank...

what ever you do DON'T MIX THEM! That will for sure cause for coagulation... use your current dexcool stuff until you get your new radiator... then after you've drained all the coolant out and have the old radiator out, stick a water hose up to the upper coolant tube on the engine and let it flush out all the old coolant for a good 5 minutes to make sure it ALL get out... this is of course after you take off the old thermostat too...

then after you install the new radiator and hook everything back up... get your coolant of choice and fill her back up 50/50 with distilled water...

don't forget to take out the radiator overflow resevoir as well and totally flush/wash that sucker out to!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Just checked out that site. Those radiator hoses would defienetly upgrade the appearance under the hood. I'll have to take some measurements of the factory hoses just in case i swap them out for a set of those stainless steel ones.

p.s. - that site setup is pretty nice.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Just checked out that site. Those radiator hoses would defienetly upgrade the appearance under the hood. I'll have to take some measurements of the factory hoses just in case i swap them out for a set of those stainless steel ones.

p.s. - that site setup is pretty nice.

lemme know if you find a better hose that works and fits right... and yea their website kicks ***
Old 08-04-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

as a matter of fact i'm gonna make a thread asking about the hoses... maybe someone out there knows of a good braided one...
Old 08-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

lemme know if you find a better hose that works and fits right... and yea their website kicks ***
Definetly, I'll let you know what I find. I'm about to do a little search for lowest price on this BeCool radiator and place an order tonight. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

as a matter of fact i'm gonna make a thread asking about the hoses... maybe someone out there knows of a good braided one...
I'll subscribe to that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked Radiator