Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems remain w/surging @ wot after cam swap & tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Problems remain w/surging @ wot after cam swap & tuning

I tried using the search, but it isn't working properly.

After a cam swap last week, my car triggered the p0121 and p0122 codes and made my car go nuts: ASR off light stayed on (mainly when the a/c was on), jerked when putting it into gear, converter causing the car to shake at lockup, power loss at wot, etc. The tuner fixed it all except for the surging/loss of power at wot from a dig. The tuner adjusted the tps min/max tables several times with no luck. We also tested the tps sensor and harness with a voltmeter which turned out fine. The problem remains, but it's not throwing any codes now. At first, I thought it was because of the maf being disconnected due to it being a speed density tune. On one occasion, I reconnected the maf and the surging problem went away. So we tried that method again, but the problem is still there. A major header leak arosed after all of this, but I got that fixed and the problem is still there with no codes. I also get an erratic idle from time to time. Anyone with ideas?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

It's related to one of two things IMO...mechanical or tune. If you have hunted down and eliminated every posibility of any mechanical issues, then it has to be tune related. I also believe that an SD tune is going to be more troublesome than good if you're not tuning it yourself. Day to day, it can produce some decent swings. In my experience with SD, if you get stuck in traffic and your intake air temps skyrocket, then you're going to lean out and it'll run like crap. That was the point of my other thread. Last weekend, I relocated the IAT and switched to a pure MAF tune (no VE or SD influence) and the car is pretty damn close to spot on. Maybe your tuner should try that instead.?.?.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/733929-yet-another-theory-how-tune.html
Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 PM

The MAF is plugged back in, retuned, scanned and a few codes keeps popping up:
c0237-Rear Wheel Speed Signal Erratic
c0239-Unknown
c0240-Unknown

Are the above codes related to the way my car's behaving? The p0121 and 122 codes aren't showing up, but the affects are still there: 1-2 violent wot shifts, occasionally falls on it's face at wot, then takes off. It also occasionally jerks when putting the shifter into gear (D). All of this didn't happen to after the cam install and we're still trying to figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:59 PM
KVU
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/591806-c0240-c0041-c0036-codes-after-cam.html

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31788
That code has been identified...

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=63690&page=2

....all those codes are related to traction control. I think that might be what's holding your car back. The P0121 might have something to do with this also. Will have more info on the codes soon.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a scanner where you can post a log while it is acting up? Without scanner data to look at, any suggestion here would just be a wild *** guess.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

DTC C0239: TCS Spark Retard Monitoring Malfunction("F"Body)

Short or open circuit in grey/white wire between PCM and EBTCM(Circuit No 1687)

DTC C0240: PCM Traction Control not Allowed("W" Body and 1999 "F" Body)

Reference back to code C0237 which is TCS Throttle Position Signal Malfunction.

All of which will cause your problems. I'd have your tuner go through the tune looking at TPS to TCS referenced tables. Then start looking for the short or open circuit.

Last edited by Violatorno1; 06-26-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:33 AM

KVU is the tuner. He scanned the whole pass when the car acted up, but didn't catch anything abnormal. Also, the c0237-240 codes kept popping up when he tried to deleted them. He can give a better explanation on everything. I read here that adjusting or desensitizing the MAP window would cure most of the problem, but he don't have that option on his software yet.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:56 AM
12 Second Club

In EFILive under Engine Diagnostics>TPS>TPS vs RPM Lower. Zero out the 400/800/1200 cells. If the car is cammed and idles higher than stock it will throw P0121 since TPS % will not match predetermined settings. Find that table in your software and it should take care of the TPS code which may take care of the rest.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info fellas, but more codes arose:

When I got home yesterday, I scanned my car with my Autozone scanner. P0507 (idle speed high) & p0327 (knock sensor low input) popped up, but it didn't trigger the ses light. I cleared it and reset my computer. After I got to work today, I scanned it again and two (p0327 & p0332) knock sensor codes popped up, so I cleared it once more. Again, no ses light. I guess i'm catching it before it triggers the light. I got home, rescanned it and just the p0507 code pops up this time around. The car "seems" to run fine even though it's throwing these new codes. I didn't think modding a car would be such a headache with these computer controlled cars.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Violatorno1
In EFILive under Engine Diagnostics>TPS>TPS vs RPM Lower. Zero out the 400/800/1200 cells. If the car is cammed and idles higher than stock it will throw P0121 since TPS % will not match predetermined settings. Find that table in your software and it should take care of the TPS code which may take care of the rest.
yes i had the same issue , problem solved when i raised the po121 error max map in hptuners to 105kpa, it is under engine diagnostics/ general in the hptuner software. more than likely your cam is idling above the factory kpa and causing you to throw the po121.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 PM

Update: The tps/map tables were changed, along with taking care of the knock sensor codes. The power loss problem at wot is solved and 0 codes so far. A new tranny mount also solved the knock/clunk on wot 1-2 shifts.

Quick Reply: Problems remain w/surging @ wot after cam swap & tuning