has anyone ever used mr.transmission 2920 and i-45?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default has anyone ever used mr.transmission 2920 and i-45?

i brought them my transmission that needs a new pump because i put the torque converter in wrong. they told me they would tear it completely apart to check how things were for free.

then i get a call 2 hours later saying that the third gear is burntout, my torque converter is going out and my clutch discs are all messed up... the transmission has only 20,000 miles on it

his price quote for all the work was 1800 dollars and he said he wouldnt give me a warrany if all i got was just the pump

so basicly i think im getting screwed big time, because if i dont give them the 1800 to do everything, they wont give me the warranty and they most likely put crappy parts in my trans. from another one to where it would break down so i would have to bring it back..

has anyone ever delt with these guys? are they true to their words or just abuncha scammers
Old 06-05-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've made the mistake of going to a transmission shop to get some work done. ended up costing me 1300 to put a new stock replacement clutch in and slave cylinder when i could've done it at mti for about 1k and gotten an LS6 clutch.

they will try and **** you over

if they offered to look at it for free, i suggest you take it to a sponsor/speedshop to get the work done. they know the cars and the community better than some tranny shop.

Last edited by Reznor; 06-05-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this other time, i had a 92lx beater, auto, the tranny was not shifting right. it would stay in certain gears for a long period of time, and finally shift at higher rpms. it would also jolt the car when i would put it in reverse.

took it to a tranny shop, the guy drove it around the parking lot and came back and said i needed a new transmission. i wasn't about to spend serveral hundreds of dollars on that pos. my mom got a hold of a friend/mechanic and he came by fixed it for $140. all that was wrong was a bad gasket.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why did you let them tear it down? $1800 is one expensive mistake, especially if you just needed a pump, plus they will replace your parts with stock parts. You should have found a reputable shop first instead of asking now. Century Automotive in Sugarland is the place to go for 4l60e's. Mike Kurtz will build it up to withstand alot of abuse at the cost this place wants.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

go to the oreilly at louetta and kuykendal and talk to mike. he is the store manager and he rebuilds my trannys. normally he just charges $200 labor. he just finished mine that is going behind an lq4 with a cam.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

just got your pm man. good luck!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another vote against taking anything to Mr. Transmission, they are scam artists, plain and simple. They even rotate the people/managers to different stores, so that when you come back, its always "the other guys fault, but I can fix it right".

Been there, done that.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

went there twice they suck.. dont go there..

btw i went there the second time because the tranny rebuild they did crapped out and it was underwarenty.. they tried to say that it was my fault even though it wasnt.. about a month after the second rebuild some bolts around the flywheel broke and droped into it locked up my tranny... they again said i over torqued the bolts with my car.. ( i drive a pretty much stock v6 camaro 5 speed) ended up being that the bolts were crossthreaed... wont ever go back there again... also heads up its an atlas tranny shop they all pretty much suck
Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
Why did you let them tear it down? $1800 is one expensive mistake, especially if you just needed a pump, plus they will replace your parts with stock parts. You should have found a reputable shop first instead of asking now. Century Automotive in Sugarland is the place to go for 4l60e's. Mike Kurtz will build it up to withstand alot of abuse at the cost this place wants.

well the thing is, they told me they would help me out and wouldnt charge any labor. the guy sounded like he was going out on a limb for me just because of my financial issue i told him about. he said he would tear it down, inspect it and then beef it up a little. he then said that beefing it up wouldnt cost much at all, he said that most of the parts cost 35 dollars or something like that. he made it seem like it wouldnt cost much at all

well ya, then i get the call about all the bs i need to do
Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Just go and pick up your tranny, thank him for the free inspection, and take it to Mike Kurtz at Century and get it done right!

J
Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick up your trans. 1800 for a stock rebuild bench job is too much especially if it doesn't include a converter. No shop would give you a warranty for just replacing a pump anyway so don't hold that against them. Especially if it is a bench job and they know you already messed it up once.
Please be aware that what they are telling you could be the truth about the trans. I don't care if it had 200 miles on it the clutches could be smoked. Especially if it is 20k since a rebuild. If you drove it after you misstabbed the converter you could certainly have messed it up in no time. Messing up the pump and having no pressure is like having low oil pressure in a motor. You can burn it up in 50 miles. In the trans biz its called a YO-YO.
If all you really have is a stock car then just have it put back together and order a unit from a chevy dealer. You can get them for about 1300 with a 3 year 100k warranty. If you want high performance you could take it to Century but check on pricing because it will probably be over 2k with a converter.
Also I would stay away from using some guy on the side. You said you wanted a warranty so you need to go to a reputable shop. All too often going to some shadetree will put you right back where you are except with less money. If some shadetree is a good trans rebuilder then why isn't he doing that for a living? Good rebuilders can make $75k a year but let me tell you there are tons and I mean tons of sorry trans builders out there.
One other suggestion. Never try to get a deal on something because of your financial situation. Things like this can happen as people who are snakes prey upon this and take advantage because all you are looking to hear is them tell you "I will work with you, give you a deal, take care of you etc." There is no reason why any shop should give you a deal because of your financial situation. It isn't there fault. They are there to make money to pay wages to their employees and owners family's. They have to make money and they should. What usually happens is when someone tries to cut corners and save money they end up spending more than if they just did it right the first time.
Good luck.
Any questions just let me know. I owned a trans shop for the last 6 years.
Bryan

Quick Reply: has anyone ever used mr.transmission 2920 and i-45?