Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resistor chip? does it work

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resistor chip? does it work

The resistor chips off ebay claim up to 20 horses, it makes your car think its breathing colder air. I alway though it was bull, but a friend of mine has a 97 malibu, with a fart can and a the resistor. He installed the resistor and said he could notice a difference. He ran a 15.9 at the track, the car is supposed to run 16.5. He ran this on a 95 degree day with very bald tires and a noticable misfire. The car has 130000 miles
Old 09-20-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Bald tyres have a greater surface area and on a hot day will probably provide more grip than new ones. And plus when people say bald 99.99% of the time they mean part worn and still legal. - Sorry but it really bugs me when people claim "bald tyres".

As for your question well most chips for most cars will often work. There are exceptions however, but usually it just fiddles with the ECU and alters timing, fueling and on boosted cars the boost level.

However they are usually desinged to work with a stock car, so if you have intake and exhaust mods your car will be running different anyhow. In this case most chips have little or no affect and have been known to even harm performance.

Also remember there are a lot of cowboys and theifs out there who sell cheap crap which either does nothing or is harmful to the ECU.

HP can not be magiced from nothing, it has to come from somewhere. So if you already have bolt on's and plan on more mods - stay clear of any chip. Tuning is the answer and will see better and more reliable gains. However most people don't bother tuning until at least a cam. A bolt on setup will benefit from a tune, but it's not needed and is quite expensive.

LS1's will only produce about 360rwhp on a dynojet as a bolt on setup. Very few people see anything any higher and if they do it's usually a dyno variation as opposed to the car really making the power.

Intake (lid), LT's and exhaust, pulley. If you plan on a cam FAST 90/90 else LS6 ported TB will be fine.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Bald tyres have a greater surface area and on a hot day will probably provide more grip than new ones. And plus when people say bald 99.99% of the time they mean part worn and still legal. - Sorry but it really bugs me when people claim "bald tyres".

As for your question well most chips for most cars will often work. There are exceptions however, but usually it just fiddles with the ECU and alters timing, fueling and on boosted cars the boost level.

However they are usually desinged to work with a stock car, so if you have intake and exhaust mods your car will be running different anyhow. In this case most chips have little or no affect and have been known to even harm performance.

Also remember there are a lot of cowboys and theifs out there who sell cheap crap which either does nothing or is harmful to the ECU.

HP can not be magiced from nothing, it has to come from somewhere. So if you already have bolt on's and plan on more mods - stay clear of any chip. Tuning is the answer and will see better and more reliable gains. However most people don't bother tuning until at least a cam. A bolt on setup will benefit from a tune, but it's not needed and is quite expensive.

LS1's will only produce about 360rwhp on a dynojet as a bolt on setup. Very few people see anything any higher and if they do it's usually a dyno variation as opposed to the car really making the power.

Intake (lid), LT's and exhaust, pulley. If you plan on a cam FAST 90/90 else LS6 ported TB will be fine.
He has bald tires, not legal, really bald showing wire. I can claim bald tire cuz its true
Old 09-20-2006, 06:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erickeown
The resistor chips off ebay claim up to 20 horses, it makes your car think its breathing colder air.
That stuff is
Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

thought so, thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

trick it into thinking it is gettin colder air?...oh i see all this time i thought it was the air itself goin into the engine and now i know that the cold air is actually sending some kinda signal to my computer and the computer lets my motor know to go faster...sweet so im gonna get a chip to trick my computer into thinking im getting colder air and im gonna sell it
Old 09-20-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

SLP makes the same item for our cars. I believe the lowest temp that our cars can read is 56* F. The resistor makes this a constant input temp. When I was a newb I installed one and thought I had made a great computer mod.

Truefully, it doesn't add much more than a few degrees of timing, and did cause my car to ping at WOT. I would venture more damage is done than HP is gained through the mod. Tell your buddy he needs to research and tune a computer properly instead of "tricking" it.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** on that **** man. Get a dyno tune via HPTUNERS, LS1EDIT, EFI LIVE, etc.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

You can buy a pack of resistors from radio shack for a dollar and put the resistor in the IAT sensor which will do the same thing. I tried it and picked up half a mph on back to back runs so take that FWIW. I don't remember what value resistor to buy but you can probably search here for it. Easy mod to do for track day but certainly not something permanent and especially doesn't take the place of a real tune.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hondakiller
You can buy a pack of resistors from radio shack for a dollar and put the resistor in the IAT sensor which will do the same thing. I tried it and picked up half a mph on back to back runs so take that FWIW. I don't remember what value resistor to buy but you can probably search here for it. Easy mod to do for track day but certainly not something permanent and especially doesn't take the place of a real tune.

yeah I think its a 4.7k ohm resistor. Thats what it was for my LT1 car.

Quick Reply: resistor chip? does it work