Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls2 waterpump pulley removal

Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls2 waterpump pulley removal

I am attempting to install a ls2 waterpump on my f-body ls1. The only problem I see is the pulley needs to be shimmed out about 3/8". I am just wondering what it takes to remove the pulley from the pump. Ive got a 3 arm puller on it right now with no luck. Any recomendations for me?

thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I used a hacksaw to get mine off but, of course, I destroyed it. I couldn't figure out how to get that puppy off or even move it. I guess I'd try to weld a machined piece on to it that a puller would grip although you might distort it. The LS2/7 pump does give you more clearance in front of the engine. I ended up using a Meziere remote water pump which has worked really well so far, i.e. 6 months and 3000 miles of daily driving.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMW-CSL
I used a hacksaw to get mine off but, of course, I destroyed it. I couldn't figure out how to get that puppy off or even move it. I guess I'd try to weld a machined piece on to it that a puller would grip although you might distort it. The LS2/7 pump does give you more clearance in front of the engine. I ended up using a Meziere remote water pump which has worked really well so far, i.e. 6 months and 3000 miles of daily driving.
Well after three days with the puller on it and a couple good whacks with a hammer I finally got it to move. However I think I may have damaged it as I can hear a slight rubbing noise when I turn it by hand. I may just run it for now to see if it clears up on its own. Ugh
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

anyone else have any luck with this? Is the difference in the actual pulley or is there a spacer or what? Sorry to bring this from the dead...........
Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im also about to get the ls2 water pump for clearance issues, do you think heating up the pulley with a blow torch would help it move?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

I tried everything I could think of to move the waterpump pulley on an LS1 pump with no success. If you heat it you'll undoubtely fry the seal.

I used a remote mounted Meziere electric pump for my '88 BMW M3/LS6 daily driver and it has worked flawlessly for three years now. This option gives you lots of room.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GMW-CSL
I tried everything I could think of to move the waterpump pulley on an LS1 pump with no success. If you heat it you'll undoubtely fry the seal.

I used a remote mounted Meziere electric pump for my '88 BMW M3/LS6 daily driver and it has worked flawlessly for three years now. This option gives you lots of room.
yea but it also blows your wallet up lol i just bought a brand new C6 ls2 water pump for $130.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls2 waterpump pulley removal