Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I recharge my AC with 12oz Can of 134a refrigerant

Old 04-09-2003, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Can I recharge my AC with 12oz Can of 134a refrigerant

You'll also need the kit that includes the hose. But yea, you can do it on your own.

I'd first run a can of that compressor oil through first then do the actual charge.

1) Connect it to the low pressure side of the A/C line (the hose attached to the can) the kit's hose will only fit on this fitting, plus it'll have either a blue or black cap. The high pressure side has a red one.

2) Turn your A/C on to maximum, closed vent, and fan at high speed.

3) Screw the hoses screw in to puncture the can then unscrew it to let the R134a to flow into the low pressure side.

You most likely will empty can #1. Replace the hose onto can number 2, repeat steps 1 and 3 to start can 2 on it's merry way. Depending on what the capacity of our system is (I don't remember off the top of my head) you should top it off with the proper remaining amount needed. No more! Too much can be just as bad as not enough.

By now, with the system running full tilt, you should notice it kicking out much cooler air.

That's it in a nutshell. I did 3 or 4 last summer.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I recharge my AC with 12oz Can of 134a refrigerant

from Autozone? Thanks. I know I'll need 2 cans.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you've opened the system to the atmosphere, you'll need to evacuate the system. The only good way to do that is with a professional A/C recharging system. Yeah, people on here have just used the cans, but its not good for the compressor, and its not as efficient. If you arent going to place a vacuum on it, then one thing you could do is start filling from the low side and use a screw driver to crack the high side open to try and bleed the air out. Good luck. Also if you didnt lose any oil, then you dont really need to put anymore in. More is not better.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Simply Re-filling/re-charging really doesn't open it up to the atomospere though.

Having poor seals, poor connections and other items that would cause a leak would open it to the atomosphere therefore necissitating the whole system be repaired. Depending on the extent of damage, the accumulator, orifice tube (if so equipped), condensor, and compressor will need to be replaced. From here it'd be necessary to do a complete evacuation and purge of the system.

A simple re-charging does not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I recharge my AC with 12oz Can of 134a refrigerant