Old 12-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh okay, good info, thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
why do a lot of you recommend semi-gloss instead of gloss? I feel like Gloss would look nicer? thoughts..
theres this thing we call an opinion. everyone has one, sometimes they're similar, sometimes they are different. pick which looks best to you.

while i like the extremely glossy look of fifdynutz's car, i also like the look of mine, which has a more semi-gloss/satin look.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Launching!

yeah.. i understand opinion.. thanks
now im asking other's opinion.. semi gloss black or gloss black on a silver bumper
Old 12-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
ahh okay, good info, thanks
Here is a link to some done in high gloss black:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...A+Bumper+gloss

I like the high gloss too
Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok im convinced... already have a murdered t/a and plan on doing a semi gloss. i used the krylon fusion before but was not happy with the quality of the spray and consistency... pics up soon!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rabbit320
ok im convinced... already have a murdered t/a and plan on doing a semi gloss. i used the krylon fusion before but was not happy with the quality of the spray and consistency... pics up soon!!!
Don't sweat that...I wanted SATIN BLACK...very similar to Semi-Gloss...and I buy all my paint from TCPGLOBAL. I have never ever been disappointed. Have never received a bad can of paint (referencing spray cans) ...

Anyway I had ordered a special U-POL Primer...and I swear by U-POL paint....but it behaved oddly...was for this type of application...but it just flaked off and was so streaky....I sent pics to some people who were helping me and the consensus was "NO ONE HAD EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT."

So I resanded everything....and then applied a basic black DuPliColor Primer..(Duplicolor also has great technical staff just like TCPGLOBAL)...and then used the black semi-glosss and it came out great...think I have some pics on my fquick...but it looks flawless...came out great...

One 12 oz can of primer and one 12oz can of Black Semi Gloss...

BTW: If when you go under that bumper and you see that you are missing any push pins...you can easily get replacements at LOWES...in the Automotive Specialty Screws drawers....they have them for all models GM FORD Nissan ets...Little happenstance discovery I made...

OH and the opinion deal...sure helped to see all this and to make the mistakes...LOL If you do not make mistakes then you never grow...RIGHT!!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man i appreciate the input and detail, a true CETA is semi i thought? or is it a satin?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Teching In

thanks man i appreciate the input and detail, a true CETA is semi i thought? or is it a satin?
OUCH....I AM SO NOT A MAN....LMAO ....and I wound up using the black semi-gloss think there are a few pics of the CETA I did on my fquick here is a link look at very last album....my new rotors and pads and CETA are in there I think...I really need to put new pics up there my TA looks very different now with all the SS overlays with center black etching....new black side molding, etc....

http://www.fquick.com/mebecker1
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha wow my bad i am very sorry... got the jack and stands for xmas so i will be leaving the bumper on to paint... hopin this week before work/school
Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Another vote for satin CETA....

Name:  IMG_3834-1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  568.9 KB
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Teching In

haha wow my bad i am very sorry... got the jack and stands for xmas so i will be leaving the bumper on to paint... hopin this week before work/school
That is OK happens all the time...just do not want to leave you deluded...Jack and stands work I have a hydaraulic jack and 4 stands...I used ramps and chocks for mine...backed it up on the ramps and chocked all 4 tires...I used 3M masking film amazinfg stuff cuts your work time in half...strongly recommend it...it is this masking film has painters tape on it and shears off easily to size...

BTW-I really like the satin or semi-gloss...my bumper looks satin esp after this subzero temps here in Chicago...I do not really see any diffeenc in the 2 once they are applied...If you use a clear coat over it...unless you buy MATTE or SATIN it will gloss up the paint...you can get Matte or Satin Finish Clear coat at TCPGLOBAL.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Semi Gloss but it looks more flat.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Teching In

I'm going to try to paint my bumper tomorrow. What paint is everyone using. I just bought some duplicolor bumper paint.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Teching In

I just redid my CETA it is drying. And it looks awesome. Thiis is what I used:

1. 600-2000 grit sand paper
2. SEM Flexible Primer
3. VHT Bumper Paint and it is the most awesome Satin finih ever it looks incredible. It looks so good that the neigbors all want me to paint their cars or detail them (NOT A CHANCE IN HELL)
4. Most important thing you have to buy to do this is 3M Fine Line Tape get the 1/4 inch and the 1/2 inch. This tape is made of polypropylene and you will have perfect sharp edges with no bleed whatsoever. This tape comes in green and blue. I recommend the blue because it is thicker and I seemed to have more control when going around curved areas. I did buy both JIC.
5. Tack Cloths: DET 1200-BX BOX 12 GOLD TACK CLOTHS

I strongly recommend TCPGlobal.com and they are on eBay...I got my tape in less than 48 hrs from them on eBay.

OH BTW you will need a TACK Cloth (DET 1200-BX BOX 12 GOLD TACK CLOTHS) and TCPGlobal has a huge selection and they have a special type I bought has no silicone or wax and worked just great. I used Duplicolor paint prep cloths to clean everything...

I got awesome advice this time so it came out great from these professionals on the paintersforum on the TCPGlobal site...It just looks awesome...and I was very grateful to the guy from *** Custom Cars and NHRA Trans Am (he is a moderator up here and he has the patience odf a saint-he answered every single one of my questions and is extremely knowledgable IMO )who told me exactly how to do this so I would have no problms at all.

I love how the VHT Bumper Paint looks...it is so easy to use and great coverage and the nicest finish I have seen. Also, it is way more durable than standard laquer. You can get the same type of paint in various finishes (gloss, satin, matte/flat) by SEM. SEM is well known for their greaat bmper paints/coatings.

I redid it and there are pics on my fquick in 4th album-can take a looksee bottom of this page and page 2 see this link:

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...d=4&carid=9726

Last edited by Alpha-Omega; 05-13-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SFL_driver
I'm going to try to paint my bumper tomorrow. What paint is everyone using. I just bought some duplicolor bumper paint.
Duplicolor Bumper Paint and VHT Bumper Paint are 100% compatible. I used 1 coat of the Duplicolor Bumper Paint because I had it then followed with the VHT. The finishes are identical. VHT is made by Duplicolor....they are one in the same and I spoke with their Technical SUpport people as well.

I had many problems with the first CETA I did last summer (July-2009) and I was going to make sure I did not have the same issues.

Best masking tape to use is the Frog Tape - it is treated with paint-block. I used 3M film to cover the car and no stray paint/overspray/or bleed.

One other thing you should have JIC: a couple of hard sanding blocks 1000 - 2000. If you do get any paint bleed you can easily remove it with these rigid blocks. MaGuiar's has all the grits.

Last edited by Alpha-Omega; 05-12-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:18 PM

Has anybody done this with a color other than black? I have a NBM bird, and Im thinking about going to a NBM with CGM accents scheme. I would like to see this with the Ceta mod...any good photoshopers in here?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Teching In

I finished my CETA today; and, I am very happy with how it turned out.

[IMG]http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1274339182[/IMG]

Last edited by Alpha-Omega; 05-20-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought you had already done it twice? already having to redo the spray bomb?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
i thought you had already done it twice? already having to redo the spray bomb?
UM, this is the second time. I just posted the pic. To clarify-First CETA done in August 2009-Second CETA done in May 2010.

Last edited by Alpha-Omega; 05-20-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Ive been reading this thread for the last three days in prep to do the CETA mod on my own Trans Am. Everything posted here was very helpful and I can now proudly say I completed my CETA mod today and it came out great!

Here are some pics of a CETA bumper on a Dark Aqua Met T/A....BTW what does "CETA" mean?
Attached Thumbnails CETA Bumper: A How To-trans-am-008.jpg   CETA Bumper: A How To-trans-am-010.jpg   CETA Bumper: A How To-trans-am-015.jpg   CETA Bumper: A How To-trans-am-013.jpg  

Quick Reply: CETA Bumper: A How To