PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunercat software?

Old 04-06-2006, 08:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I find the other's brands interface to be a tad cluttered, and tunercat's cleaner.
I find just the opposite to be true...for instance(and I told john this in hopes of possibly changing it) if you go to Tables-Transmission tables it drops down over 30 tables(that many even for m6 cars where 2/3 of the parameters are for a4 cars) in a drop down menu that you have to sort through to find what you want. Hptuners gives you 4 different ways to get to something in the case of the same tranmission tables you can either use their tree navigation, drop down menus with arrows to where you can then click onto a tabbed table if you want or go directly into a single table, or click directly on one of the function keys to pull up the separate tables. Everything is separated by type meaning even if you didnt know what a table was for now you do...if its under tq management its obviously for TM, if its under knock retard its a knock retard parameter...no more guess work of whats what and having to sift through 10-40 listed parameters to find the 3 you need.

Most pros use a Tech2 as a scanner anway. It is more capable than pc based scanners I have seen.
Most of the people that post on this board are hobbiests that want to either know what software is best, what they need to do to make the most power, or what shop to go to get their **** strait. Few hobbiest's own a tech2 is the point Im getting at. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tech2...spagenameZWDVW at $5k its not really something most can afford. For many hobbiest tuners they do their tuning at the track with a wideband rather then on a dyno which is where histograms come in very handy. Im not sure if the tech2 can put them together but both hpt & efilive can very quickly with many already premade for quick setup for even a newbie.

I use Tunercat for everything now. If you know the locations, he also has an editor editor you can buy, so a knowelable tuner can add parameters the other software packages do not give you access to. Don't tell yourself hptuners, or any other tuning software (and I have looked at all the others), actually include all the tables and other parameters. I have added the things I work with, that is not included in other packages, some I have told Tunercat about, most I keep to myself.
most people dont need access to 2000 or 7000 tables you can change...hptuners has well over 500 for most ls1's which is more then enough to confuse the average joe which is why they also have a level setting where you can choose beginner/intermediate/expert so you get to view as many parameters you like from mild to wild so you dont get confused in whats important & whats not important.

Tunercat files are still straight binary.
mine are all encryped as .cal files via tunercat which seems to be encryped :shrug: i dunno about yours

I really don't know why a professional tuning shop would buy anything else.
time is money & both hptuners & efilive can save you minutes or hours in some cases on tunes hours=$ & time you couldve spent with family & friends. Even saving 1 hour per tune from shorter read/write times & ease of navigation would allow most shops to do one more tune per day...at $500 per tune that quickly pays for those extra licenses

Couldn't find a nicer, less ego-driven person to work with.
well in the end at least we agree on something john does seem like a very nice guy.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It seems as though people think less of Tunercat just because they are afraid of what they do not know. I love TC and agree with Ed Write about the other interfaces being busey and cluttered, HP makes me dizzy.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:59 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First off, I have nothing against Hptuners, so don't take it that way. For what I do and the way I work, Tunercat makes more sense.

Quote:

Transmission tables it drops down over 30 tables(that many even for m6 cars where 2/3 of the parameters are for a4 cars) in a drop down menu that you have to sort through to find what you want. Hptuners gives you 4 different ways to get to something in the case of the same tranmission tables you can either use their tree navigation, drop down menus with arrows to where you can then click onto a tabbed table if you want or go directly into a single table, or click directly on one of the function keys to pull up the separate tables. Everything is separated by type meaning even if you didnt know what a table was for now you do...if its under tq management its obviously for TM, if its under knock retard its a knock retard parameter...no more guess work of whats what and having to sift through 10-40 listed parameters to find the 3 you need.

Under "Transmission Tables", just which tables do you think have anything at all to do with a manual trans car? If somebody tuning a manual Camaro, for instance, even opened that menu, they are in a bit over their heads. <G> As I mentioned before, I think John may need to dumb his stuff down a bit for the hobbits. If somebody knows what they are doing, and what they need to get to, almost everything is ONE mouse click away. You don't have to waste time hitting this tab, then that tab, etc.

Quote:

Most of the people that post on this board are hobbiests that want to either know what software is best, what they need to do to make the most power, or what shop to go to get their **** strait. Few hobbiest's own a tech2 is the point Im getting at. At $5k its not really something they can afford.

I believe I said professional tuning shops. I spent less than 5K for BOTH of my Tech2s. At 5K per unit, you would be getting rapped.

Quote:

most people dont need access to 2000 or 7000 tables you can change...hptuners has well over 500 for most ls1's which is more then enough to confuse the average joe which is why they also have a level setting where you can choose beginner/intermediate/expert so you get to view as many parameters you like from mild to wild so you dont get confused in whats important & whats not important.

I don't need that many either. But, have always worked with parameters the others do not have, including Tunercat as it is sold. Just because you don't know about a parameter, does not make it less important.

Quote:

mine are all encryped as .cal files via tunercat which seems to be encryped :shrug: i dunno about yours

If you were familiar with using hex editors, you would know they are not encrypted. If you know what you are looking at, it is all right there under your nose. I have used Hexworkshop many times on Tunercat .cal files.

Quote:

time is money & both hptuners & efilive can save you minutes or hours in some cases on tunes hours=$ & time you couldve spent with family & friends. Even saving 1 hour per tune from shorter read/write times & ease of navigation would allow most shops to do one more tune per day...at $500 per tune that quickly pays for those extra licenses.

Having used Ls1edit, Hptuners and Tunercat, I can promise you I can tune one faster with Tunercat than you can with either of the others. Write times are not that much faster, and having to click on "replace by, add to, multiply by", then enter the new value, then click on "commit", takes more time than just double clicking on a cell and typing in the new number, with Tunercat it is "committed" when you type it in. Also, no extra licenses, cable credits, etc. And IF you know what you are doing, it is very customizable.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

[QUOTE=Ed Wright]First off, I have nothing against Hptuners, so don't take it that way. For what I do and the way I work, Tunercat makes more sense.

Quote:

Under "Transmission Tables", just which tables do you think have anything at all to do with a manual trans car? If somebody tuning a manual Camaro, for instance, even opened that menu, they are in a bit over their heads. <G> As I mentioned before, I think John may need to dumb his stuff down a bit for the hobbits. If somebody knows what they are doing, and what they need to get to, almost everything is ONE mouse click away. You don't have to waste time hitting this tab, then that tab, etc.

You may not know this but every table in hptuners is 2 clicks away and for the most part so is tunercat as you need to click on at least one tab at the top to get the drop down menu's to work and you dont need to go through tabs which is what I was trying to explain you can hit one drop down tab and just move the mouse over what section you'd like to go to like in the picture i've attached in comparison
Quote:

I don't need that many either. But, have always worked with parameters the others do not have, including Tunercat as it is sold. Just because you don't know about a parameter, does not make it less important.

as it is sold...hmmm the guy who initially posted isnt a tunershop nor will he be buying an editor editor more then likely so this point is nill in my eyes

Quote:

If you were familiar with using hex editors, you would know they are not encrypted. If you know what you are looking at, it is all right there under your nose. I have used Hexworkshop many times on Tunercat .cal files.

again as it sits they come up as cal files which cannot be opened with hptuners or efilive as far as i know :shrug: at least I couldnt open one right now toying with it which is what I could considered locked or encrypted...maybe im wrong though.

Quote:

Having used Ls1edit, Hptuners and Tunercat, I can promise you I can tune one faster with Tunercat than you can with either of the others. Write times are not that much faster, and having to click on "replace by, add to, multiply by", then enter the new value, then click on "commit", takes more time than just double clicking on a cell and typing in the new number, with Tunercat it is "committed" when you type it in. Also, no extra licenses, cable credits, etc. And IF you know what you are doing, it is very customizable.

as far as being customizeable it sounds like you again are reflecting on the editor editor which again isnt something most hobbiest's would buy...sounds like a great tool for high end tuners though. Also if your not aware you can just single click on a cell & either hit the + or - button or enter a new value and click enter with hptuners or highlight a small or large section to change/smooth/interpolate hit the function or "enter" and thats how you commit it IMHO there are far more shortcuts in hpt...but I will say that editor editor sounds good

edit: oops I forgot about the favorites menu
Attached Thumbnails Tunercat software?-tc1.jpg   Tunercat software?-hpt1.jpg  

Last edited by foff667; 04-07-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
again as it sits they come up as cal files which cannot be opened with hptuners or efilive as far as i know :shrug: at least I couldnt open one right now toying with it which is what I could considered locked or encrypted...maybe im wrong though.

hit the function or "enter" and thats how you commit it IMHO there are far more shortcuts in hpt...but I will say that editor editor sounds good [/B]
TC is definitely not encrypted or locked.

And while this is not directed at any software, there are alot of people that will get more understanding about tuning there vehicle if they spend a little time with the hex editors or the old way of tuning and not rely totally on the "do it for me" software. I am not saying do not use it, but you will learn and gain alot from taking a little time and making yourself think a little. This applies to most anything we do.

Again each software has is advantages. Everyones needs are different and some people need a more simple, easy to use software package and some want more control over what they are capable of doing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tunercat software?