General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gauge lights flicker??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge lights flicker???

ok well i am wondering if anyone else has had this problem i have a 98 Z28 camaro and when i start the car the gauge lights behind the cluster seem to strobe or flicker and then once i start driving they are fine what could the problem be? also i think i got a bad tank of gas or something b/c today when i was coming to a stop the rpms went down to like 650 and then back up to 750 after stopping for a second or two could it be bad spark plugs b/c i have NGK TR55 plugs that i just got and i am wanting to install them once i get my headers but may have to before then to fix this problem if it might be b/c of the plugs.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

I have the exact same problem and I took it to the dealership 5 TIMES! and they still don't know what the problem is...The replaced my battery, and alternator and still no fix. I personally think its a bad ground or maybe a short in the automatic transmission soleniod. The reason being is that at low speed shifts from 1-2nd when going extremely slow my volts drop and my car feels as if its gonna die. I do not have the same problem as you at the idle and stopped position where the car drops rpms. That is most likely your IAC, just clean it up real good or replace it and that problem should go away.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

how do you clean the IAT sensor??? also how much would it cost for a new one? i am also thinking about cleaning the MAF sensor while im at it.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

First remove the Intake from the Tb and take a choke/carb cleaner and spray some on a towel and clean out as much of the carbon as possible. Then fire up the engine and while its running at idle very lighly you can spray a slight mist into the intake this will clean up some of the gunk in the intake and tb etc...Simply remove the IAC and MAF and give them a good cleaning but don't use a abrassive cleaner or a real harsh chemical. Then after all the cleaning is done. let it run at idle for a little while to make sure its all dried out etc and take the car out for a spin and give it a couple WOT to burn any junk that may have slipped past the TB. It might not cure the problem but it will make it run a lot better and possible fix it. Plus think of the increased amount of air flow efficiency you will get from the lack of carbon build up. Also try changing your fuel filter that could also cause the rpm surging at idle.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i am gonna be doing this all when i install my headers, it will be header, ORY, Spark plugs and wires, and then cleaning of this stuff. so do i turn the engine on with the lid off and just spray directly into the throttle body with the carbon bulidup chemical stuff and then just get some electronics cleaner from radio shack and clean the MAF and IAT sensor off that way, plus i wont have to touch the wires if i use that spray on electronic cleaner from what a board memeber on here told me, it will just clean the MAF sensor and IAT and then will come off on its own with no problems.