LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 removal, top or bottom???

Old 12-21-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 removal, top or bottom???

Is it even possible to take the motor out the top or an i stuck pulling it out the bottom???
Old 12-21-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

u can take the motor out from the top u just have to remove alot more...radiator, fans, intake, etc...from the bottom is the best waw read this... http://z28.com/showthread.php?t=2372...pulling+wheels
Old 12-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Ive Done it both ways.

I prefer the Bottom. I can do it in half the time.
By myself in about 3 hours!
If you pull it out the top its a Tight squeeze and takes some strategic moving.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Launching!

I feel the Top is easier, Im not a fan of doing the brakeline removal and all that other stuff. If your car has every accessory on it then go from the bottom if its pretty race ready then go from the top its easy, you can get it with the trans too.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had 0 help, and two forklifts, and a blown up motor 1yr 1/2 ago, four hours later I was bored again, take it out the bottom, its extremely easy to do. but when u put it back in, make sure u put together the steering column the right way! mine is upside down lol
Old 12-21-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can take it out of the top, just buy a Happy Hooker and she'll come right out.

But saying that, I'll probably take mine out of the bottom when I do mine in the next couple of months.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

I'm pulling mine out of the top. Its more time consuming but easier IMHO.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think that the top is easier. just take off the acc. (mostly all of them are on one big bracket) radiator, fans, and water pump. you dont even have to take off the intake. you can even take it out with the trans still attached. id rather do this than picking up the front of the car sky high. you MIGHT have to take off the hood to give the engine hoist room to move.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

I Dont Really Like The Fact Of My Whole Car Being Held Up Wiht A Cherry Picker While I Take It Out The Bottom. I Would Much Rather Take It Out The Top. Even If It Is More Time Comsuming, The Top Would Be A Better Choice For Me
Old 12-22-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

I've done the top. I didn't even imagine trying the bottom when I did it. I was able to get it out and in by myself with a little cherry picker, happy hooker, or whatever the hell you wanna call it. Not easy by any means however!
Old 12-22-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know why people think that by pulling the motor through the top is more time consuming. in my opinion, it probably takes less time to remove all the acc., pull the motor out with the trans., and then remove the trans. and set the motor on an engine stand. after you pull the motor from the bottom you still have to remove all the acc., remove the motor from the front sub-frame and set it on an engine stand and then move the dam sub-frame out of your way.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I have to agree with that.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mighty mex
i dont know why people think that by pulling the motor through the top is more time consuming. in my opinion, it probably takes less time to remove all the acc., pull the motor out with the trans., and then remove the trans. and set the motor on an engine stand. after you pull the motor from the bottom you still have to remove all the acc., remove the motor from the front sub-frame and set it on an engine stand and then move the dam sub-frame out of your way.
The added steps you have listed are removing it from the subframe(which is 2 bolts and 5 minutes), then moving the subframe out of the way is another 3 minutes. Also from the bottom you don't have to remove the accessories.

2 guys, and 1 lazy a$$ tool bitch who really didn't do anything, and my motor/tranny was out in under 2 1/2 hrs with no power tools.(from the bottom of course)
Old 12-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by skinnies
The added steps you have listed are removing it from the subframe(which is 2 bolts and 5 minutes), then moving the subframe out of the way is another 3 minutes. Also from the bottom you don't have to remove the accessories.

2 guys, and 1 lazy a$$ tool bitch who really didn't do anything, and my motor/tranny was out in under 2 1/2 hrs with no power tools.(from the bottom of course)

Half of the guys posting have never even attempted yanking it out the bottom.
DONT KNOCK TIL YOUVE TRIED IT!
I used to think the same thing about the top!
I yanked 4 motors from the top before I took someone elses word for it that the bottom was less hastle and the quickest. After that it was a NO BRAINER!!

Not to mention everytime I yanked it out the top I had someone help me. Someone running the Cherry picker and one person twisting the motor and lets not forget the so commonly known TOOL BITCH that drops a wrench on your nuts while your laying under the car!
Pulling out the bottom can be done by 1 person!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BRENTT94Z

Half of the guys posting have never even attempted yanking it out the bottom.
DONT KNOCK TIL YOUVE TRIED IT!
I used to think the same thing about the top!
I yanked 4 motors from the top before I took someone elses word for it that the bottom was less hastle and the quickest. After that it was a NO BRAINER!!

Not to mention everytime I yanked it out the top I had someone help me. Someone running the Cherry picker and one person twisting the motor and lets not forget the so commonly known TOOL BITCH that drops a wrench on your nuts while your laying under the car!
Pulling out the bottom can be done by 1 person!

very true. but i guess the only way i would pull the motor out of ANY car through the bottom is if i had a lift. i guess you can say i kind of get spoiled at work working on a lift. then when working on the floor at home, it sux and you try to find easier ways to do things. i have tried pulling the motor through the bottom at home and it sucked for me. it seemed easier for me through the top at home, and i didnt even need help from the infamous tool bitch. and i had my motor on an engine stand in about the same amount of time 2 1/2 hrs.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've pulled mine out the top and the bottom and would have to completely say take it out of the bottom, especially if u need the trans to come out too.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have pulled a couple from the top, in a lot of different cars, only way I know how to do it. All those times we left the tranny still atached. Were going to pull Speedmisers from the bottom here ina bit for the new motor, be the first time ever I have done it from the bottom. I might do it from the bottom with my car, looks like it would be a lot easier and a good way to do headers at the same time.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Teching In

how high do you have to lift the car? can you do it with an engine hoist ?

Last edited by scarbound; 05-10-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont see why people say your spoiled if you have a lift????????? mine is a little old but i got it for 200 and it works great. here is a pic of my lift , you can see the lift is a little beat(just neeeds new paint really).
Attached Thumbnails LT1 removal, top or bottom???-lift.jpg  
Old 06-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish i could get a lift for that price...but get it out the bottom...all the bolts are easy to get to

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 removal, top or bottom???