Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ERL or RED for LS7 re-sleeve

Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Don't tempt me!!!

Seriously we may end up doing some business together in the upcoming months. I have a few customer builds that are getting started with the planning stages now and my own personal engine build that needs some attention after being put on hold.

That is a very impressive inventory and must be a small fortune in overhead.
Trust me, it's better than long lead times!

Let us know what you need when the time comes.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ERL,

If I wanted to do a resleeve (427) and I had to purchase a block, could I buy an LS 5.3 and use LS3 accessories to complete the motor?

Goal being, save 700 bucks on the block.

I just know it can't be that easy but I guess what I'm getting at is parts interchangeabilty between the blocks.

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 10-16-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYZNTN
ERL,

If I wanted to do a resleeve (427) and I had to purchase a block, could I buy an LS 5.3 and use LS3 accessories to complete the motor?

Goal being, save 700 bucks on the block.

I just know it can't be that easy but I guess what I'm getting at is parts interchangeabilty between the blocks.
It is that easy, purchase the correct 5.3 and you are golden. My block is a 5.3
Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM
FormerVendor

Ray is correct! After we are done with our sleeving and machining there really isnt any difference between the LS2, LS3 and 5.3 blocks. I'm pretty certain that all the mounting points are the same.

The 5.3 will be just as strong if not stronger than the LS2 or LS3 blocks and they all get our ERL doweled billet main caps, ARP main studs and all the same sleeving and machining.

The Ohio Boys were #1 and #2 in the LSX Shootout Challenge Series this year and just won back to back LSX Shootout and we used 5.3 liter cores on their two engines. They are strong enough.

Give us a call and we can work on getting something going for you!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

I dropped a block off with the ERL guys during the shootout. I have no doubt that it's in good hands.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Launching!

ERL and Ray,

That is very good news. I will be in touch. Might have to do a little block shopping.

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 10-16-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by koolrayz
It is that easy, purchase the correct 5.3 and you are golden. My block is a 5.3
Does it have to be an aluminum 5.3?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Can't go wrong with either of these 2. I have a R.E.D block that i have been using for years without issues. I spoke with ERL at Sema a couple years ago and the guys really seem to know their stuff. Block on display looked tough! You would be in great hands either way

Last edited by ramairws6; 10-17-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ray, what do you spin your motor to?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Ray, what do you spin your motor to?
8800,,,,,,, so far
Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wasn't Steven involved in the development and design of the Darton MID liners? I think he even owns part of a patent or something like that.

The ERL Superdeck blocks looks REALLY impressive in the pictures and the trussing or whatever it is called at the bottom of the sleeve is something I really like a lot.

I want to say off the top of my head for just you average dry sleeve LS2, L33, or LS7 that ERL is the less expensive (can't bring myself to use the word cheaper) of the two but it was only a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 10-18-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
Ray is correct! After we are done with our sleeving and machining there really isnt any difference between the LS2, LS3 and 5.3 blocks. I'm pretty certain that all the mounting points are the same.

The 5.3 will be just as strong if not stronger than the LS2 or LS3 blocks and they all get our ERL doweled billet main caps, ARP main studs and all the same sleeving and machining.

The Ohio Boys were #1 and #2 in the LSX Shootout Challenge Series this year and just won back to back LSX Shootout and we used 5.3 liter cores on their two engines. They are strong enough.

Give us a call and we can work on getting something going for you!
So, I've been looking around for 5.3 blocks and have run across a few. That said, they are used and often times that can be a buyer beware type of deal. Also, I really am not certain what the "correct" 5.3 block is. I think it may be this:

GM GEN IV 5.3 LH6 LC9 LH8 ALUMINUM BARE BLOCK ENGINE 12571048

If I wanted a new one could I go through you?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FLYZNTN
So, I've been looking around for 5.3 blocks and have run across a few. That said, they are used and often times that can be a buyer beware type of deal. Also, I really am not certain what the "correct" 5.3 block is. I think it may be this:

GM GEN IV 5.3 LH6 LC9 LH8 ALUMINUM BARE BLOCK ENGINE 12571048

If I wanted a new one could I go through you?
You are correct and yes you can go though us to get a new one if we are going to sleeve or build you one of our packages.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by koolrayz
8800,,,,,,, so far
Wimp.....
Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Eric,
I just sent you a message. Hoping this one shows up.

Martin, thanks for all the kind words. If there is anything we can ever do for you guys let me know. we are only a couple States away from you all.

When you all are shopping around make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you look at price. Martin mentioned that some others "cost less" but make sure you know what you're getting for your money.

You aren't just getting a sleeved block with the block decked and cleaned. In addition to all that we also include in our price:
- block stress relieving
- a Finish Cylinder Hone
- an Align Hone
- A set of ARP Main Studs

In other words all the machining is all done here in house.

There are very, very few who can sleeve blocks without issues and certainly Steve w/ RED is one of them. I just wanted to address the cost issue that was raised.

Another thing we've worked hard on is our inventory. We have the following sleeved blocks in stock:

4 - LS2 Dry Sleeve blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)
9 - LS2, LS3, LSA and LS7 Superdeck 1 "4 bolt" blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)
13 - LS2, LS3 and 5.3 Superdeck 1 "6 bolt" blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)

So turn around time is very quick and we can also turn these into any of our short blocks as well pretty quick as well since the sleeving process is already completed.
So what do these guys cost? I looked on your website but only saw foreign stuff, unless i missed something. Looking for a block soon for the GT50-88 build im workin on.

Last edited by waterbug1999; 10-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 AM
FormerVendor

You have to click on domestic up in the corner.
http://www.erlperformance.com/home-domestic
We do both Domestic and sport compact blocks/engines.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Eric,
I just sent you a message. Hoping this one shows up.

Martin, thanks for all the kind words. If there is anything we can ever do for you guys let me know. we are only a couple States away from you all.

When you all are shopping around make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you look at price. Martin mentioned that some others "cost less" but make sure you know what you're getting for your money.

You aren't just getting a sleeved block with the block decked and cleaned. In addition to all that we also include in our price:
- block stress relieving
- a Finish Cylinder Hone
- an Align Hone
- A set of ARP Main Studs

In other words all the machining is all done here in house.

There are very, very few who can sleeve blocks without issues and certainly Steve w/ RED is one of them. I just wanted to address the cost issue that was raised.

Another thing we've worked hard on is our inventory. We have the following sleeved blocks in stock:

4 - LS2 Dry Sleeve blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)
9 - LS2, LS3, LSA and LS7 Superdeck 1 "4 bolt" blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)
13 - LS2, LS3 and 5.3 Superdeck 1 "6 bolt" blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)

So turn around time is very quick and we can also turn these into any of our short blocks as well pretty quick as well since the sleeving process is already completed.
Sean,

Thanks. I did get your PM. It will probably be 3-4 weeks before I can send my block to you, but will definately go with the Superdeck I 6 bolt option. When the block is complete, i will be sending it to LPE for a forged build.

What is the best option for shipping the block to you?

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

Call us at 812-945-3434 and ask for Seth and he can help with that info. I'm out of the office but he can give you some guidance on shipping your block to us. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a REDs wet sleeved LS7 and have had no issues, that said I think I would go ERL the next time for the 6 bolt pattern and the lifter windows.

Steve was a great guy to deal with as well.

I do not think you can go wrong with either.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Well I figured I would chime in as well. I currently run an LS3 447 CID NA Setup and My brother is running an LS2 454 NA setup both from ERL. These are both Dry Sleeve Builds and so far we have had great luck with them. I would highly suggest an ERL Engine or block to anyone. 1 of the things I was concerned with was cooling a dry sleeve setup, and I run a stock water pump, radiator, and a 160* T-Stat and it runs cool in 100+* weather in Indy.

Can't stress enough how happy I am with ERL and their quality of parts, and attention to the small and larger details.

Sean and Seth are GREAT guys to deal with, and are very knowledgeable when it comes to setting you up with a package that will work great and last a long time.

James

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ERL or RED for LS7 re-sleeve