Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GUIDE:Sakou Michi LS1 Dual Cans/truck PCV Install (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GUIDE:Sakou Michi LS1 Dual Cans/truck PCV Install (w/ pics)

Saikou Michi LS1 Dual Catch can installed with truck PCV Pics, routing, and instructions included)

So, I received my spiffy new Saikou Michi dual can setup last week, and I finally got around to installing it. I also noted that there wasn't a thread anywhere that had all of the information for the install in one spot... So I made one.

Here’s the crap you’re going to need:

-Saikou Michi LS1 Dual setup (DUH!)
-Two M10x1.5 bolts, around ¾” long (Auto Zone has them in a convenient two pack, in black to match the bracket even. Cost around $3
-7 or so feet of flexible fuel hose… I believe the size I bought was 7/16”. It seals just fine. Cost about $9 at Auto Zone.
-Hose clamps for the fuel hose. I just bought three of the four-packs at Auto Zone, and had one or two left over. $3 EA.
-A 3/8” Vacuum Cap
-One of the new orifice PCV’s (Autozone PN PCV1009, AC Delco #12572717, AKA CV339) $3
-A foot of 1” Heater hose from Lowes (you only need like 3 inches, but you have to buy in 1ft increments. $2.04
-brass 3/8” barb to threaded adapter. (Lowes) $2
-two more hose clamps that will fit around the heater hose.

NOW, LET’S GET STARTED. The steps don’t necessarily have to be done in this order, this is just how I did it.

1) pull all the the PCV/Valve cover vent hoses and connectors off. There is a vent on the back of the driver side valve cover tee’d in with one from the rear of the passenger valve cover. This continues forward up the passenger side and connects to the PCV, then to the intake manifold. Pull that crap off. There is also a hose going from the front of the passenger valve cover going to the throttle body. Pull it off as well.

2) Put a vacuum cap on the rear passenger side valve cover vent and clamp it.

3) Go ahead and make your housing for the new PCV. This is how- (The how-to is in the first post, and has pictures to boot) http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/pcv-val...ication-80151/ The only thing I changed was using two hose clamps instead of one, and I eliminated the "ground" strap because it is not needed.

4) Bolt your catch can bracket to the passenger side head with the M10x1.5 bolts. You can see in this pic:

5) Bolt your dual can setup to the bracket using the hardware supplied by Saikou Michi. It should be sitting like this (Well, minus the hoses, we're getting to that:

6) Connect the end of your fuel hose to the vent on the rear of the driver side valve cover and clamp it. Run the hose from the around the back of the engine, down the passenger side and to the top of one of the cans. Mark where you need to cut, and, well… cut it. Then clamp it.

7) Find a spot in the hose where you can put your PCV housing. Cut out a section of hose and put the PCV housing in place, and clamp it. Here's where I put mine:

8) Measure out a piece of fuel hose going from the other fitting on the same can to the nipple on the intake manifold, and clamp it in place.

9) Measure a piece of fuel hose from the front vent on the passenger side valve cover to the top of the other can, and clamp it.

10) Measure a piece of fuel hose from the other fitting on the can to the nipple on the throttle body, and clamp it.

VOILA! Catch can installed.

Your routing should look something like this:

For an easy-to-follow diagram: (thanks to 405HP Z06. The image is his, located in another thread)

AAAND, an engine bay shot:

Looks pretty sleeperish, I think.

Hope y'all find this useful. On a side note, I also did a bottom end flush and switched over to Rotella T6, I'll report back in on that in a few weeks, as far as how the new PCV and catch cans affected my oil consumption.

Last edited by roninsonic; 07-18-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, a side note- It would probably be easier to pull the vent itself out of the driver side valve cover, put the new hose on, and reinstall the vent in the orientation you want, then run a bead of high-temp RTV around the base of it for some insurance. That's what I wound up doing. It's cramped back there.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, good job getting it hooked up right.

Is it available in any other colors?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You literally have the same setup as me. The PCV valve setup and hose routing are exactly alike, the only thing that's different is that my dual can setup is gloss black.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

What does the clean side catch can add to the set-up? Always wondered this. I have a single can set-up ran just like that my-self.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Looks great, good job getting it hooked up right.

Is it available in any other colors?
He can do them in pretty much any color you want, you might just have to wait for him to get the color in. that goes for the emblem, too.

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
You literally have the same setup as me. The PCV valve setup and hose routing are exactly alike, the only thing that's different is that my dual can setup is gloss black.
Yeah, it took me a bit to get the hoses laid out like I wanted them so they didn't look so cluttered. I'll probably go back in and cover the hoses with high-temp nylon sheath to make it look better.

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
What does the clean side catch can add to the set-up? Always wondered this. I have a single can set-up ran just like that my-self.
From my understanding, the clean side provides fresh, metered air to the crankcase for ventilation.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just as an update: I drained my cans for the first time yesterday, after about a thousand miles of relatively spirited driving and two Saturday nights' worth of beating the living **** out of it... HOLY ****. The clean side was about a quarter full, and the dirty side was 3/4 full... And that's just after a thousand miles (admittedly, a pretty rough thousand). At least now I know where my oil's been going. As a side note, The oil flush did WONDERS. My oil still looks new (I did have to top it off, because I'd rather DRINK the **** in the cans than put it back in my motor), and my gas mileage has increased by about 10% with no change in driving habits... Keep in mind that I'm using Rotella T6 (5w40) now.

All in all, I'd say it was a worthwhile way to spend about 200 bucks.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good!! Been thinking of doing the exact same thing
Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up. I would have to mount the cans in a different location as that is where my A/C compressor goes.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Nice write up. Your routings are spot on and very helpful. In addition if you have an LS2 style DBW throttle body, you can ask them to change the angle of the tube nipple to route it to the air intake tube like I did. Those guys are great to work with.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jenson
Looks good!! Been thinking of doing the exact same thing
Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Nice write up. I would have to mount the cans in a different location as that is where my A/C compressor goes.
Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Nice write up. Your routings are spot on and very helpful. In addition if you have an LS2 style DBW throttle body, you can ask them to change the angle of the tube nipple to route it to the air intake tube like I did. Those guys are great to work with.

Thanks, guys... And Bu Bu, that's some good info, I didn't know that. Yeah, Saiku Michi is one of the best companies I've ever worked with when it comes to ordering made-to-order items. They know their business.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, Bu Bu, where'd you get that sleeving for the hoses? It looks pretty sick.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by roninsonic
Also, Bu Bu, where'd you get that sleeving for the hoses? It looks pretty sick.
The hoses are Russell nylon braided from Summitt. The clamps are here
Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Nice Info. I have the Saikou Michi CC , all as said previous, a work of art. Not a perfect fit with the A/C lines but some moving and squirming and it fits up nice. See the pic, I suspect that I won't be able to do this bumper art any longer. Home track is Road America which taxes every aspect of a car. HERE is THE ?????
Just want to make sure that the direction of flow through the PCV valve is from the back of the car towards the front which will flow into inlet side (top) of either or catch can then into the intake manifold. Zoom in on the bumper, think I need a catch can?
Attached Thumbnails GUIDE:Sakou Michi LS1 Dual Cans/truck PCV Install (w/ pics)-cc-img_4024.jpg  

Last edited by NoRegretSS; 08-11-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Picture problem
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoRegretSS
Nice Info. I have the Saikou Michi CC , all as said previous, a work of art. Not a perfect fit with the A/C lines but some moving and squirming and it fits up nice. See the pic, I suspect that I won't be able to do this bumper art any longer. Home track is Road America which taxes every aspect of a car. HERE is THE ?????
Just want to make sure that the direction of flow through the PCV valve is from the back of the car towards the front which will flow into inlet side (top) of either or catch can then into the intake manifold. Zoom in on the bumper, think I need a catch can?
That is correct, the inlets to the SM cans are the top ports.

AND HOLY CRAP, your rear bumper is FILTHY. Are you sure that's not fuel or general track grime?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

This should be a sticky!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 AM

thanks for all the information guys
Old 12-24-2012, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no problems. It pissed me off finding all of the info, so I figured I'd put it all together to make it easier on the next guy.

Quick Reply: GUIDE:Sakou Michi LS1 Dual Cans/truck PCV Install (w/ pics)