LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

turbo size question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbo size question

I rebuilt my LT1 383 had a procharger on the stock motor and that was great. Now since rebuilt I only get 4psi out of it so looking to do something bigger. Thinking of going twin turbo instead of a F1c.

I've been trying to figure out the graphs for the turbo trims. Just when I think I got it some what figured out I find different info that I am off in the reading of the graphs.

Like I said think that I want to go twin vs one single. I figure I will get faster spool up with 2 smaller ones. My question what size, trim, and all the other info should I go with? They will be rear mounted and looking to get 1000hp, and driven on the street quite a bit, so has to be streetable and fast response, with occassional trip to the track. 6500 redline, I read GTX are quicker spooling, GTX3071 with 58mm and .70 A/R is what looks like is suppose to work but when I did all the calculations for reading the chart it doesnt seem to fit well.

Thank You for any input

Patrick
Old 05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question But cant you just get a different pulley to increase the boost??? OR you can just let me have it for my build LoL I have no clue on turbo sizes IF I could weld Bet My 396 ltx would get 1 or 2
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T72s is perfect for a 383 anywhere from 10psi to all the way to 30.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:59 AM
Launching!

I had the supercharger maxed out for rpms and only 4 psi.

Thank you for the input on the 72's
Old 05-13-2012, 04:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want two 72s?

thats what i have turbonectics set the up with diff wheels and is spools quick. what are you looking of hp wise?

and your going to need some bigger injectors and fuel system.

and you max out a strocker and procharger with some 50lb injectors?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Launching!

the supercharger is maxed out....think max is 63k - 65k or so if I remember right. I only get 4 psi out of it...its just a baby charger 600B. Think it was 3" pully and 8.5 pully to max it out for rpm.

I was wanting 1000 hp for track, but I will take whatever I can get as long as it is snappy for the street. More into street driven....with occasional track run.

And I am planning on upgrading the fuel system cause I know what I have now will not be enough. Have pump in the tank with a booster pump. Holley said the injectors were good for 775 but I figured it would be good for what I was pushin at the time.

And now it is time to get my motor to do what I built it for. And yes I wanna run twin turbos. I figure since they are in the rear I need a A/R of around .68 or so and someone mentioned to me of 6262's with A/R of .68. And I did the garrett advisor and they recommend 71 and A/R of .70 so Im tryin to get different opions. I'm new to turbos and reading the graphs and lost again atm in the whole graphs...lol

I contacted Percision and see what they say. Thinking if I get everything collected this summer I got a good winters project with that, fuel system and puttin in a IRS.

I just wanna do something different and hear the fords tbird IRS is pretty good. And I so happen to have one under my 93 tbird 5.0 that finally died on me after 250,000 miles. And that was a nice and smooth ride. I got acess to shop, metal, welder, plasma cutter, and whatever I need. Figure I might as well us some of my ability and take on a challenge.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
I contacted Percision and see what they say. Thinking if I get everything collected this summer I got a good winters project with that, fuel system and puttin in a IRS.

I just wanna do something different and hear the fords tbird IRS is pretty good. And I so happen to have one under my 93 tbird 5.0 that finally died on me after 250,000 miles. And that was a nice and smooth ride. I got acess to shop, metal, welder, plasma cutter, and whatever I need. Figure I might as well us some of my ability and take on a challenge.
T-bird IRS?! Now that's something different...looks like a massive piece to slip under a f-body: http://www.islc.net/%7Erpierce/Diff4.jpg does it handle more power than a Corvette IRS? I know that has been done before, at considerable cost though...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Seems the weak link in the 8.8 is the half shafts. So Im going to look and see what the aftermarket has for them. Otherwise the Vette IRS is an option also. Just the cost of the diff is would be the big thing with the Vette IRS. But I have a buddy that works at a salvage yard also, so little discount there.

Quick Reply: turbo size question