Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Steven, Josh, Guys who own established shops I have a question!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steven, Josh, Guys who own established shops I have a question!

If you guys reply to this thread I thank you.

I'm a junior in High School and a I LOVE ANYTHING to do with ANY Car that makes power (yes Minis and Geo's lol). I am planning on attending SAM (School of Automotive Machinist) and I already has the application and everything. I am at about and have been at a 3.6-8 GPA since 8th grade (when they start giving them at my school) and around 98% attendance. Anyway I also plan on taking some welding classes at my local Vo-Tech (where I'm in automotive now) after I graduate High School.

Basically I would like to have my Own Non-Rip Performance Shop here in Tulsa seeing as there is really no close place. I would like to get this accomplished by the age of 35, I want to get a job somewhere else to save up money, then get a loan to start the shop.

My questions for the guys who own shops is simple.

1. If you could start you life all over again would you take the same career path?
2. I know this isn't a tasteful question, but is the money good? I mean not rich but I would like a nice house and to not worry about money.
3. Any tips for getting started? Not as far as a motor setup but like machinery and such? What type of building, etc.?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not nor have I previously owned a shop but I have worked for one in the recent past. Here is my opinion if you are interested. It is tough to be successful in this industry and only the true bad asses can do it.

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
My questions for the guys who own shops is simple.

1. If you could start you life all over again would you take the same career path?
No.

2. I know this isn't a tasteful question, but is the money good? I mean not rich but I would like a nice house and to not worry about money.
No. Not unless you rip people off/cheat them. I guarantee your #1 worry at all times will be about money/getting paid. You can make a living but it's not anything I would call "good". The overhead is high unless you outright own all your machines (if you are building engines)/dyno/tools/building/property.

3. Any tips for getting started? Not as far as a motor setup but like machinery and such? What type of building, etc.?
Go work for an established shop for awhile and see if you still want to open your own. It is better than any schooling you can get, and all the 'schools' are extremely over priced.

Last edited by JS01; 05-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steven, Josh, Guys who own established shops I have a question!