Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F-body Twin Turbo Rear Mount...

Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post F-body Twin Turbo Rear Mount...

Most of the modern corvettes running 900+ horsepower has rear mount designs, I'm assuming since they must have tremendous amount of space in the rear.

I've seen all kinds rear mount kits for F-bodies everything from 72mm's to 97mm's. All single turbo kits tho!

What I was wondering is if its possible to fit two turbos in the rear of a F-body? (Specifically a Firebird) I was thinking of obtaining Kooks True dual system and modify it to host two mid-size turbos.

I would most likely have to do a little more homework on how much space there is available in the rear of F-bodies. But what gets my attention the most is the charging pipes that would have to run all the way to the front.

Any one have any suggestions? or know any one that has had a similar idea to what I'm discussing here?

Thanks for reading,
Ws6kid.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a lot of tubes! I think if you could somehow package the turbos so they can't be seen from the back as easily as a big single..for all the money your going to spend on fab and all those tubes you may as well just get a front mount eBay single kit..

For rear mount turbos you want to run stock manifolds and small diameter pipes to the back of the car to help it spool so you can save your money and not get kooks..google on3 turbo kits..much cheaper way to go turbo then fabbing twin rear mounts..plus they work better in the front where it's hot
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My2kz28
That's a lot of tubes! I think if you could somehow package the turbos so they can't be seen from the back as easily as a big single..for all the money your going to spend on fab and all those tubes you may as well just get a front mount eBay single kit..

For rear mount turbos you want to run stock manifolds and small diameter pipes to the back of the car to help it spool so you can save your money and not get kooks..google on3 turbo kits..much cheaper way to go turbo then fabbing twin rear mounts..plus they work better in the front where it's hot
i was thinking of doing most of the math and whatever i can handle with the fab work. And i was considering the stock manifolds but reason i decided to jump to the kooks true duals was because since it would be a twin set up it could host smaller turbos and get a quicker spool.
correct?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
Most of the modern corvettes running 900+ horsepower has rear mount designs, I'm assuming since they must have tremendous amount of space in the rear.
Most high hp turbo vettes have their snails up front sorry to say. Much more efficient that way.

I've seen all kinds rear mount kits for F-bodies everything from 72mm's to 97mm's. All single turbo kits tho!

What I was wondering is if its possible to fit two turbos in the rear of a F-body? (Specifically a Firebird) I was thinking of obtaining Kooks True dual system and modify it to host two mid-size turbos.
Kooks TD's are so expensive you could fab your own kit for the same price since would have to cut and weld all over the kooks setup anyway. Plus that piping is WAAAY to big for a rear mount unless you dont want boost till 6000rpms...

I would most likely have to do a little more homework
GOOD IDEA!!!

Originally Posted by My2kz28

Dont spend your money on a Chinese crap turbo setup. Go with a quality turbo like precision or Tnetics. Even Master Power would be much better IMO. People need to stop buying crappy chinese products just because they are cheap! Keep doing that and there will be no more American turbo companies.

You dont see rear twin setups because there is little room to use unless the car is gutted for racing, its a ridiculous amount of piping that would make the car heavy, laggy and a pain to work on, and because you can run a larger single and make the same power. Use the K.I.S.S. method here or youll find yourself full of headaches.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1. i know its nice to be different. but put a front mount on it and be done.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The on3 turbo kit is supposed to be the best eBay kit and it looks pretty legit..My car is getting a front mount mpgt45 kit on it now...most the cost so far is in standing the radiator vertical and putting the tubular k in..oh well with the ac out and the sc stuff off I should still be lighter..

Trusts viper on here has twin rear mounts and it works well for him but there was a ton of fab work needed to make it work...not worth the money to develop a kit like this for the fbody bc most turbo people seem to be going fast on front mount kits..obviously there are a few exceptions like the rear mount camaro lmr made and zombies car, but who knows how much research and time and money they had into their cars to make them run the times they did..
Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been there and done that. Like others here have said, front mount is the best way to go. I have ditched my rear mount setup due to terrible lag issues and am now going front mount.

Everyone is right, you are talking about 4 different tubes or 3 with one large tube. I found the lenghth of the cold side piping, combined with all the different bends you will have to make to route it up front, and the tight space over or under the engine craddle makes for a very restrictive cold side. The shorter the cold charge pipe is, the larger the diameter, and the less turns in it the better.

That is not to say it does not work, it does, it just has some bad obsticules you have to over come. If you want 600hp then a rear mount is nice, easy and symple. Once you get to the 1000rhp level, lag time, space limitations for the larger turbo or twins, oiling issues of the twins (return oiling) becomes a real issue. Rear mounts are cool, and I think seeing two turbos hanging off the rear of the car would be sweet. But for best response, max power, as little lag time as possible, front mount is the way to go.

My .02 cents.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

If you have the space front mount is always the best, it's when you have to start cutting up the car is when you need to make tough decisions.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Teching In

OOoo what about a rear mounted Compound boost setup???? that sounds fun
Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you have to run so much piping? Just use one exhaust pipe and run it to two turbos and a single feed to the intake.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this video this is the only rear mounted twin turbo F-body I've seen

Looks & runs great too

5:00 in the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ZE9OmSBvk
Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know someone who I'm pretty sure has the only rear twin kit in the world. He's a parts collector / hoarder.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by venom ws7

Looks & runs great too

now that is one nasty TA!!! rear mount TT must be a lot sorts of fun!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Apart from what Zombie posted, I'm sure even he would agree that (1) Turbo on the front would cost FAR less to fabricate than (2) Turbos in the butt. Rear Turbo(s) can only take you so far
Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by durtyss
Apart from what Zombie posted, I'm sure even he would agree that (1) Turbo on the front would cost FAR less to fabricate than (2) Turbos in the butt. Rear Turbo(s) can only take you so far
I would agree with everything you said except for rear turbo (s) can only take you so far.

LMR has really shown what you can do with rear set ups, not arguing that front mount is optimal if possible.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Thats red trans am is here in my town...
Twin 67mm turbos, 434lsx.. makes 1000+rwhp
Old 12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dam I bet that's bmf GTA!
I wonder what he's using for ic? A2w?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by venom ws7

Looks & runs great too

lol Holy crap that thing was moving lol i like how the rear bumper was turning into a parachute lol
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

im pretty sure i saw a twin rearmount on sts's site or there fb page it was on a black trans am and they just y'ed the one exhaust pipe in the back. thats over complicating it in my opinion though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-body Twin Turbo Rear Mount...