LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 shutting off like someone cut the power

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 shutting off like someone cut the power

I have a 93 Camaro Z28 with a recent motor swap done to it. The LT1 has 82k miles from a 94 Z28 with a LT4 hot cam, Pacesetter LT headers and Pacesetter O/R y-pipe, EGR and A.I.R. delete and a custom chip made also. I am also using my 93 ECm and wiring harness also. I finally got the car again and now it is just shutting off while I'm driving and while its idling or parked, almost like someone just cut the power to the motor. I still have power to everything else. When the car just shuts off, i can hear the fuel pump start up again just like turning the ignition on in the car before starting it. I have to wait like 5 to 10 minutes or so before I can restart my car but then it just shuts off again after about 2 minutes. I have replaced the Optispark, ICM, coil, and spark plugs and wires (all brand new). I also have another ECM that I tried with my chip in it and it still did the same thing. I don't know what else to do or check. What else could it be?
Old 08-20-2011, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a bad ignition switch on one of my LT1 cars. You'd be driving and then *BAM* nothing, just like someone turned the key off. Try wiggling the key around to get it started after it shuts off.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would un plug the ignition switch and look at the connector. Lots of times the unit will get very hot and over time short out and cause this issue. Start there.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine did the same thing...checked fuel pressure had 0, then after about two minuets it was fine, started right up. It would do it a few more times them i replaced the fuel pump relay behind the drivers kick panel and it hasn't happened since, that was 2 months ago...knock on wood, good luck!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

I've had problems with connectors this year, first the bottom coil connector, the icm connector, and now the coolant temp sensor in the wp, I found mine by wiggling the wires when it wouldn't start.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my ignition switch is bad. With the car running, I wiggled the switch and the car almost shut off on me while running, then it shut off by itself about 2 minutes after. I turned the ignition off and tried starting it, and it wouldn't start. So I wiggled the ignition switch and it started right up with no problem. Every time i wiggled the switch while the car was running, it almost shut off every time.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM

Default lt1 not turning over

Okay so im having a similar problem. its a 93 z28 it has been turning on then it will turn off randomly. Now the other day i went out and it wont start at all just cranks but wont turn over. I just had the opti replaced so i dont think its that. im thinking something to do with fuel? any input would help
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreens44
Okay so im having a similar problem. its a 93 z28 it has been turning on then it will turn off randomly. Now the other day i went out and it wont start at all just cranks but wont turn over. I just had the opti replaced so i dont think its that. im thinking something to do with fuel? any input would help
Get a fuel pressure gauge and test it to confirm that it's something to do with fuel and you'll be that much closer to fixing it.

Quick Reply: LT1 shutting off like someone cut the power