LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best write up on Optispark install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best write up on Optispark install?

I'm know I'm not alone searching for a comprehensive write-up on replacing an Opti. Anyone know of a good source?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.shbox.com

Also try the search function!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Teching In

How about something a little less generic?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There are certain things specific to year model, but you don't give that info. What's too generic for you?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Mano K. (1badzee) did one a few years ago on another forum, pretty good pics with it:

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-97-...emove-replace/
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Shbox, I've browsed your site but perhaps I'm just not able to navigate it correctly. I've got a stock 95 lt1 formula with a bad opti. New opti comes in today (OEM replacement). I found a website the other day that had detailed photographic instructions on how to perform an opti replacement but have since been unable to find it again. I've searched the threads meticulously for something similar but with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Gojira94, this is pretty much what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

It just isnt that hard of a task to do..Remove water pump,remove crank pulley (not entire hub) label plug wires remove opti .. seal new optis cap with silicone and locktite the rotor screws.. then reassemble ...its not like your rebuilding a small block
short of a few mundane details..There's your write up
pick up a Haynes manual
Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula.Fx
How about something a little less generic?
Well to most everybody else his site is a God send! Rob has been on these boards for more than most and has been a very valuable member of all and has always been gracious with his knowledge. I am VERY experienced with these motors and I still use his site. There is not a more detailed nor complete site abound.

You can pick up info from any of the boards, but I doubt there will be any as accurate as listed on that site. Hell it even tells you the size wrenches you need lol

Anyways good luck with the job!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hardest part about doing a opti swap to me is draining the coolant. It's pretty simple once you've done it a couple times.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Sorry if anyone thought that I was insinuating that shbox's site is generic. What I meant is that the link "www.shbox.com" wasn't providing me with the specific write up that I was looking for. But thanks to everyone helping me out with this. I'm still very much a newb to all of this and you guys have provided a lot great information.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

What's the cam dowel length supposed to be on the 95+ opti's?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by idformula
What's the cam dowel length supposed to be on the 95+ opti's?
Generically speaking, the answer is on shbox.com, but the details are in the beginning of the cam install guide.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My butt has been saved more than once thanks to www.shbox.com

Having said that, I have one piece of info at add:

Once you've got your Opti's pin hole clocked properly, place a sharpie line on the 6 O'clock position on the outside face of the metal disc on the Opti. Then, when you are under the car trying to line the pin and the pin hole, use that sharpie line to ensure your Opti has not rotated out of position. This "sight line" makes aligning an Opti almost easy!

Have Fun!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

So ".685 is max from what I gathered
Old 07-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gatorhead
www.shbox.com

Also try the search function!
I'm not a mechanic and am attempting a engine rebuild. I'm at the point of trying to start and all I get is cough and sputter. After reading I'm concerned I may not have installed Opti correctly on 1996 C4. I didn't think it could be installed incorrectly so when I installed I simply lined up the marks.

Is there anything more to this on the new style Opti? I've triple checked plug wires.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Hawk73ku
I'm not a mechanic and am attempting a engine rebuild. I'm at the point of trying to start and all I get is cough and sputter. After reading I'm concerned I may not have installed Opti correctly on 1996 C4. I didn't think it could be installed incorrectly so when I installed I simply lined up the marks.

Is there anything more to this on the new style Opti? I've triple checked plug wires.
This is all you need to know to index a pin drive opti.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a GM opti or a cheap parts store one? If the later is the answer, that is your issue.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shbox
This is all you need to know to index a pin drive opti.
Thank you for the information but please understand I installed this over a year ago and project was interrupted by injury/surgery so I don't remember. I do know I'm having some sort of problem preventing start and I'm just going through process of elimination.

From what your article describes, there is only one possible way for the Opti to go on (1996). Is this correct? (yes or no)

If yes, then I should be able to eliminate the Opti as the source of my problem as I'm getting spark to plugs.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Is this a GM opti or a cheap parts store one? If the later is the answer, that is your issue.
I honestly don't know. I reused the Opti that was on the engine. As far as I know it's GM. Don't know how I would tell.

I hope my issue isn't the Opti and timing. I'm getting spark to plugs.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Thank you for the information but please understand I installed this over a year ago and project was interrupted by injury/surgery so I don't remember. I do know I'm having some sort of problem preventing start and I'm just going through process of elimination.

From what your article describes, there is only one possible way for the Opti to go on (1996). Is this correct? (yes or no)

If yes, then I should be able to eliminate the Opti as the source of my problem as I'm getting spark to plugs.
There are more possible ways to put it on wrong than there are right. Only the right way works properly.

Quick Reply: Best write up on Optispark install?