Sponsored by:

How not to tune!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Funny you should say that.

Now, most of you know I'm not one to talk smack about other tuners, just out of respect. But this guy is totally different. He's a real piece of work.

Drum roll please. This tune is brought to you by none other than the great Jeff Creech of Carolina Auto Masters! FWIW, I've retuned literally dozens of cars from him over the years. They're ALL terrible, but this one kinda takes the cake.
Somehow I JUST KNEW that without even looking at the tune. LOL

Of course I am no "tuner" but I do not claim to be either!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

That was who I was thinking of! I was going to ask if the injector sizes had been messed with to fix fueling?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the "about us" on their site:
"our approach is both scientific as well as "I don't understand why, but it just works".

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 03-30-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! BTW, I tweaked the VE table for you free of charge if you want to try it out.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Very nice! BTW, I tweaked the VE table for you free of charge if you want to try it out.

Now that is funny !!!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Jeff Creech, the tuner for Carolina Auto Masters has tuned over 2000 GM cars and trucks, not only at the shop in Durham, NC but as a guest tuner in cities across the country, including: LA area California, Frederick Maryland, Dallas Texas, Chesapeake Virginia, even Puerto Rico! Ask around on www.camaroz28.com, www.ls1tech.com, www.corvetteforum.com, www.ls2gto.com, www.z06vette.com, etc. You'll find happy customers everywhere you look.

Pulled right off their website. lol
Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

At least he didn't wreck the car joy riding it. I thought it was the same place and sure enough...

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217323
Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Jeff Creech, the tuner for Carolina Auto Masters has tuned over 2000 GM cars and trucks, not only at the shop in Durham, NC but as a guest tuner in cities across the country, including: LA area California, Frederick Maryland, Dallas Texas, Chesapeake Virginia, even Puerto Rico! Ask around on www.camaroz28.com, www.ls1tech.com, www.corvetteforum.com, www.ls2gto.com, www.z06vette.com, etc. You'll find happy customers everywhere you look.

Pulled right off their website. lol
I guess it didn't say anywhere that I had to fix em all did it?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by INTMD8

That's good.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
At least he didn't wreck the car joy riding it. I thought it was the same place and sure enough...

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217323
or pull a gun on someone! I don't have a link to a thread.....

It was sad about the C6....let one of his employees joy ride it for the weekend and it got totaled!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote: Ask around on www.camaroz28.com, www.ls1tech.com

Sticky In tuning LS1.com: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75979

I would not be sending people to them for a reference.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Funny you should say that.

Now, most of you know I'm not one to talk smack about other tuners, just out of respect. But this guy is totally different. He's a real piece of work.

Drum roll please. This tune is brought to you by none other than the great Jeff Creech of Carolina Auto Masters! FWIW, I've retuned literally dozens of cars from him over the years. They're ALL terrible, but this one kinda takes the cake.
When I had a shop in SC Creech was one of my best customers, even though I never met him. I have ALOT of his tunes from the many cars and trucks I re-tuned that he did. I really wanted to send him out a thank you card or something. It was the same story almost everytime, he always told them they had a bad throttle body or a vacuum leak why there car wouldnt idle right or drove bad. I never saw one bad TB or even a vacuum leak on any of the vehicles...just bad tunes.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting... this is like sitting round a campfire as a lad listening to stories about the Loch Ness Monster or the Big Bad Wolf - only this one is real. The stories are too crazy to believe, yet you do believe and you're always scared of the tagline even though you know what it is. In this case every few months this guys work and name pops up - yet again with the usual onslaught of "don't go to him" and "did you hear what he messed up" stories.

My only question is why is this guy still able to tune cars or even alive? I'm not implying anything rash, but seriously this guy has messed up a ton of cars over several years if even half of the stories I've heard are true. I'm surprised there isn't a line of picketers in front of his shop warning the meek and uninformed to steer clear. If one of the cars were mine that was damaged or destroyed, lets just say I would be more than a little pissed.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by minytrker
It was the same story almost everytime, he always told them they had a bad throttle body or a vacuum leak why there car wouldnt idle right or drove bad. I never saw one bad TB or even a vacuum leak on any of the vehicles...just bad tunes.
I have a TON of loyal customers that came from him. Almost all of them have the same stories. Funny how a good tune took care of all the vacuum leaks and bad throttle bodies.

He even told one guy he needed to drill his C5 throttle body LOL
Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

The truly sad part of this thread is that I had to wonder which "pro" tuner you were talking about. This **** is more comon than ANYONE wants to admit.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sad part is the customer goes to them first getting the deal. Then you have to fix it.

We have a few people like him up here. They drill the TB and adjust PE. Pretty common to see PE commanded at 9.5-1 to 10.5-1 up here.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Oh jesus You must have been really pissed ! Thats the first time Ive heard or read VA speed dissin some body. Thats not the worst I seen but dam!!. I retuned a car the guy had a 3/8 hole in the throttle body blade, Then scaled the injectors so bad. How in the hell do you have a 130% duty cycle on Motorns 42# injectors with a head and cam 6.0 ltr?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The sad part is the customer goes to them first getting the deal. Then you have to fix it.

We have a few people like him up here. They drill the TB and adjust PE. Pretty common to see PE commanded at 9.5-1 to 10.5-1 up here.
You see a LOT more than I do up here (I've probably only tuned 50 or so cars)...but I agree. There are a lot of disasters.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

That's just aweful. The drilling the throttle body thing is the lazy way to fix it and sadly a lot of tuners are lazy like that. Had a guy local to me tune my truck bout three years ago. I won't mention the name cause I believe he's a sponsor. But he drilled my throttle body. Well when the truck cranked it would rev to about 2800 and hang there about 20 seconds, even dead cold. The guy told me that that was the best it was gonna get. After two years I had another guy look a it and he said the same thing. After learning a small amount about tuning I bought credits for my truck and had it cranking normal in about five minutes. Some tuners just plain suck.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no excuse...

at a minimum, all the tuning how-to information is available on various forums including HPTuners and EFILive.

Quick Reply: How not to tune!!