General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible Wheel Bearing Problem on my DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Possible Wheel Bearing Problem on my DD

Hey all,

I wanted to tap all of the knowledge available on this website for a possible problem with my daily driver a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, my SS is safely tucked away in the garage for the winter and I would like it to stay that way. I think I have a bad front wheel bearing, it has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 weeks, symptoms are:

-popping sound from the front when leaving a stop sign or stop light

-shimmy in the front end that has gotten progressively worse to the point now where you cant go up a hill or accelerate moderately without feeling like the front of the car is going to shake apart

-constant shimmy, shake, at 60/70 mph.

It has gotten to the point where I am driving the car the short distance to work and not taking it up to higher speeds anywhere.

Does this sound consistent with a wheel bearing? If so what is the best way to test which one is bad with the car jacked up?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as a rule of thumb. while driving the car make turns to the left and right. if the wheel bearing on the left side is bad the the noise will be there when turning right. and if the right wheel bearing is bad the noise will be there when turning left. your basically loading the bearing while turning. when you think you have pinpointed which side is making the noise, jack up the front end and check for play by grasping the tire on the top and bottom and try rocking it in and out. front hub/wheel bearings should have no play. you might even be able to turn the wheels and hear the bearing grinding. good luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427bbc
as a rule of thumb. while driving the car make turns to the left and right. if the wheel bearing on the left side is bad the the noise will be there when turning right. and if the right wheel bearing is bad the noise will be there when turning left. your basically loading the bearing while turning. when you think you have pinpointed which side is making the noise, jack up the front end and check for play by grasping the tire on the top and bottom and try rocking it in and out. front hub/wheel bearings should have no play. you might even be able to turn the wheels and hear the bearing grinding. good luck.

Thanks for the help man, I also heard that you could stick a stethoscope on the hub and listen for a bad bearing so I may try that one as well.