Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HELP!!!! melted Head-light connector ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! melted Head-light connector ????

As I was adjusting my headlight I notice the smell of burning plastic coming from passenger headlight (low beam). So I decide to take apart the headlight assemble and notice a burnt connector Not sure what might of cause this ...... looking for some advice any would be greatly appreciated

(side-note)
I have never replace my driver-side headlight since I have own the car (4 years) but replace passenger-side headlight bulb for low beams at least once year I never really investigated the matter due time or didn't really saw it as high priority at the time.

Last edited by crazymonkey; 12-29-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: missing words/typo
Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

My conector melted too, but it was due to a loose and corroded connection. I gues it caused some arcing or at least enough heat to melt the connector. Unfortunately, at the time, I couldn't find anyone selling the connectors. I think I did find one a few years ago. If I find the connector again, I'll send you the link.

Here are pics of what mine looked like.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

I just replace the headlight-motor (so all adjacent connectors hanging off should be new i.e (low/high beam) I hoping this small issue isn't underling for a bigger issue.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

On your new connector, I'd suggest using a ton of dielectric grease to keep corrosion down. I had similar issues on mine before I changed the headlight type.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Is this common issue with these connectors ??? (is it because connector is cheap or b/c so much of connector is exposed)
Hypothetically lets say I continue have issue with connector. Corrective me if I'm wrong but typically black/blue = ground and offset color = power. Since the black/blue part of connector melted that would suggest I might have ground issue ......... Would rerouting the ground to one of the ground points in engine bay resolve this hypothetical issue ???
By all means I not that electrically incline so any input would be great
Old 12-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by crazymonkey
Is this common issue with these connectors ???
Corrosion, yes. Meltdown, no.

(is it because connector is cheap or b/c so much of connector is exposed)
Its because it is now 2010 and the headlight design is vintage 1971.

Hypothetically lets say I continue have issue with connector. Corrective me if I'm wrong but typically black/blue = ground and offset color = power. Since the black/blue part of connector melted that would suggest I might have ground issue ......... Would rerouting the ground to one of the ground points in engine bay resolve this hypothetical issue ???
By all means I not that electrically incline so any input would be great
I think that if you keep corrosion in check, you shouldn't have any issues at all.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by VIP1
My conector melted too, but it was due to a loose and corroded connection. I gues it caused some arcing or at least enough heat to melt the connector. Unfortunately, at the time, I couldn't find anyone selling the connectors. I think I did find one a few years ago. If I find the connector again, I'll send you the link.

Here are pics of what mine looked like.

FYI - Doorman makes pigtails with these connectors, so any parts store should be able to order them: (If anyone ever needs these in the future.)
Dorman 85896 (Lowbeam)
Dorman 85897 (Highbeam)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
FYI - Doorman makes pigtails with these connectors, so any parts store should be able to order them: (If anyone ever needs these in the future.)
Dorman 85896 (Lowbeam)
Dorman 85897 (Highbeam)
Thanks, i found out about the Dorman connectors recently as well. 4703 & 4701 connectors used to be hard to find, but i found some online recently. There are a few othe brands now too. However, I no longer need them since I have Hella 90mm H9 projectors. Funny how you find things when you don't need them.

I don't have the links, but if you search on google for 4703 connector (or socket), you'll find them.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! melted Head-light connector ????