General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

White chrystally fluid under car

Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default White chrystally fluid under car

Noticed a dried up leak underneath my car...looks like acid on the concrete, kinda white and frosty and chrystalized. Looked under hood and couldnt really notice anything. I am guessing maybe freon??? I has my AC serviced back in August.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

our cars dont have freon...they have R134 and its a gas. Almost positive you have discovered battery acid. Want to know for sure? Wipe it up with an old T-shirt....if it makes holes in the shirt then theres your answer!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pull the battery out right now......you may have a disaster going on under it. I mean metal being eaten away for months.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Corrosion.. YAY!! And if your REFRIGERANT leaked on your AC the only way you would know is your AC wouldn't work.. and We actually have R-134a in these late model vehicles (94 and up, IIRC.)
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

so, pulled the battery....appears there is liquid on the positive terminal that came from the positive spot on the battery....i soaked the area with baking soda/water...lots of sizzlin!!! So it's def battery acid....I then sprayed everything with water after soaked with baking soda.....battery is being discarded for a new one....I hope I got everything....From the spill...looks like it just exploded one day.....I noticed the white marks on my cement last week....Anything else????
Old 10-28-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Time for a....

My battery puked a while ago but it was the vent tube that puked all over the side of my radiator..
Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by soontobeLS1
so, pulled the battery....appears there is liquid on the positive terminal that came from the positive spot on the battery....i soaked the area with baking soda/water...lots of sizzlin!!! So it's def battery acid....I then sprayed everything with water after soaked with baking soda.....battery is being discarded for a new one....I hope I got everything....From the spill...looks like it just exploded one day.....I noticed the white marks on my cement last week....Anything else????
Yes. Even though it looks all clean of acid.....get that spray foam that eats acid away and dissolves it and neutralizes it. Spray the **** out of everything, underneath the battery tray, everywhere.....if one tiny bit is still there it'll keep eating the metal up.

I got a 7yr AC Delco battery.....thats a long 100% warranty man. And the battery is a POWERHOUSE. I leave my stereo (1,000 watt amp) cranking pretty good for 2-3 hours while I polish my car and it does absolutely nothing to it.....cranks right up like normal.
Can't remember exactly, its posted here somewhere, I think it was around $100.00 with my old core trade in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White chrystally fluid under car