Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Replacing fuel pump...Access panel??

Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
byo
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing fuel pump...Access panel??

Alright boys...

The fuel pump on my 06' V went out today...I need to know if there is any access panel inside the car to get to the pump/tank? Otherwise I will have to drop the tank, and that will be a bitch... I've tried calling friends at auto shops googling it and I cant find anything...Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta remove the seat and make your own. Just drop the tank instead of hacking the car IMO but just beware its a 6-8 hr job dropping the tank. If you plan to mod down the road Id look into Lonnies Performance for a custom in tank setup so youll never have to worry again.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Just like in an fbody, making a hatch is the way to go...just be careful. I havent done it in the V, but I have on an fbody and the gas lines are VERY close to the sheet metal.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing on my 5.9 ZJ (Jeep)...I dropped the tank slightly enough to get a blade going from the sawzall and *carefully* cut a square thru the floorpan and removed the piece..ended up making a plate that attached with threaded screws into the fp's sheetmetal on that one (was thick portion, ended up being a clean job overall), but if you want to get real trick, you can buy or make a hatch assembly, but to me the added expense of a hinge and spring, or whatnot is not worth it, so I'd probably do something similar to what a did with the jeep (like a stainless plate and weather sealed, etc.). Whatever you do though, don't half *** it and make it clean, like something the factory would put out or better
Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 PM
byo
Teching In

****...alright..I kinda figured that I had to...I do all my work on the car so I will make sure it's done right and clean!! Looks like I won't be leaving town for a few days til the pump gets in..Thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by byo
Alright boys...

The fuel pump on my 06' V went out today...I need to know if there is any access panel inside the car to get to the pump/tank? Otherwise I will have to drop the tank, and that will be a bitch... I've tried calling friends at auto shops googling it and I cant find anything...Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!!!!
Did you search the forum? I cut an access hole and it was easy. The most difficult part is removing the lock ring that holds the pump assembly in the tank.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...g-smoking.html
Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah without that tool made specifically for the ring, getting it off can be a PITA.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it a big retaining ring? They make pliers for that (internal or external), although most only go for small sizes...I removed mine on my turbo by using a couple pins and a pair of regular pliers...was sort of a PITA, but can be done. To put it back, I'm going to put half+ of it in and then use one strong pin (more of a flattened awl with leverage) to pull it in. I wanted to buy retaining (or snap) ring pliers, but $$$ for the large ones and wasn't sure if I would use again (that size)...But now that I see this, maybe I should buy a pair and use it for the pump here if I ever need to.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The lock ring is about 5 inches or so in diameter and I had to pound it with a mini sledge hammer and a section of copper pipe just about as hard as I could to get it off. I don't see how any type of pliers could make it easier. Here is a picture of the type of lock ring and the proper wrench tool to get it off. Note, I just found this with a quick google search, the part number referenced in the picture may or may not be right for a V

Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh...yeah, totally different that I thought; I was picturing a ring that gets squeezed out of a slot...So, does it rotate and gets locked in? Kind of looks like it. I take it there are some raised points that you can hit then to rotate and then pull off, although the pic is hard to tell...Perhaps I should read your link a little more

Good thinking about copper...don't want no sparks there!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Ahh...yeah, totally different that I thought; I was picturing a ring that gets squeezed out of a slot...So, does it rotate and gets locked in? Kind of looks like it. I take it there are some raised points that you can hit then to rotate and then pull off, although the pic is hard to tell...Perhaps I should read your link a little more

Good thinking about copper...don't want no sparks there!
Yeah, it rotates and locks in at 6 points. The raised points on the ring lock underneath six tabs that look like this:

'--^--' <--- tabs
--^-- <--- lock ring

You can see how they fit right together and it takes a lot of effort to get all 6 points to come loose.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

.....Check to see if your pump assembly is melted. I just changed my pump assembly in my 05 v, and well yeah it was melted on the inside tank connectir, Then I put the new pump assembly in and that 2nd one melted on the top connector now. So it's at the dealer now with them installing it so I have the warranty on the parts and labor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing fuel pump...Access panel??