Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Were To Put Fuel Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Were To Put Fuel Cooler

Hey trying to get my new RSI fuel system lined out. I bought a BG fuel cooler # 178000 (sink) Were is the best place to put it at in the feed line or on the return line. The reason that I bought a fuel cooler is that both pumps will be running all the time. I have heard that the fuel rails can heat up the fuel to 165 and it would heat the rest of the fuel in the tank.Also I'm installing a check valve so that the fuel stay up in the rails. Were is the best place to put it before the fuel filter or after? Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought hot fuel was better anyway? Some people even heat the fuel by running it through a metal pipe that zip tied to the radiator hose to preheat it before the rails. Only when the fuel is hot enough to evaporate inside the rails and cause vapor lock would I consider cooling it but I'm just going off of what Ive read/heard...not experience.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You always put it in the return line to keep the heat out of the tank. Hot fuel will cause pump cavitation.

Purposely heating the fuel as menioned above is totally off base. You likely read this in another post somewhere that had no business being printed, which also mislead you the same way that you comments are.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You do not want hot fuel.

Although Ive yet to hear some good facts about how hot, is too hot ? Or at what temperature a cooler is considered essential.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some portions of the fuel mix start to vaporize at temps as low as 130deg.
Elevated temps can alter fuel chemistry as the lighter hydrocarbons vaporize.

Keep in mind that the boiling point increases with increased pressure, so it will not vaporize in the fuel line, but rather back in the fuel tank or more importantly as it enters the fuel pump at a slight negative pressure (which decreases the boiling point).

Quick Reply: Were To Put Fuel Cooler