General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to get gas smell out of carpet.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to get gas smell out of carpet.

Have a friend that has a gas can turn over in his car. Been a week and the smell is still there. Aired it out and everything. Anyone know how to get the smell out?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can put charcoal in the compartment and it will soak up the odors... Febreeze is great too.

Be careful with the charcoal, it will stain your carpet, so use common sense and put it in a tupperware box with the lid off or something
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iatros
You can put charcoal in the compartment and it will soak up the odors... Febreeze is great too.

Be careful with the charcoal, it will stain your carpet, so use common sense and put it in a tupperware box with the lid off or something
You talking about regular ole' BBQ type charcoal.......just curious in case I ever need to do it?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can wash the hell out of it, and it will help.

But the only thing that will really take the gas smell out of carpet is a calender.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Vinegar works, but then is will smell like that. I say the fabreeze should work.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eseibel67
But the only thing that will really take the gas smell out of carpet is a calender.
Well, if you had as much trouble figuring that out as I did, here's what he meant: calendar, or time.

And I agree. Only time will really take the smell out. Always drive it with the windows open and vents on if possible, and park it overnight with windows open if possible. I don't see how febreze will work, that's just going to cover it up, and probably mix with the gas smell and smell nasty. The gas just needs to dry out completely, and with time it will. I wish I could tell you how to speed up the process but I can't think of anything except a shampooer. Our carpet shampooer has a hose attachment that let's you do cars. It sprays hot water mixed with shampoo and then sucks it back up. That would suck some of the gas out of the carpet too, which should help.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
You talking about regular ole' BBQ type charcoal.......just curious in case I ever need to do it?

Yep... the surface area of the charcoal will bind to and "absorb" the odors. The other thing you can use is baking soda. Kind of like what people do with their refridgerators. Same idea.

Sprinkle that all over your carpet, and let it sit there for a while... then vacuum it up.

I had a bottle of milk that my passenger left in my car which exploded in the warm FL heat... and sure enough, smelled like VOMIT in there until I used the above mentioned methods.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: How to get gas smell out of carpet.