Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

cheap/free mods for 05 cts-v?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cheap/free mods for 05 cts-v?

just looking into some small cheap easy hp mods for an 05 cts-v. ls6. i was thinkin ported throttle body, coolant bypass, descreen maf, prolly do tune up like plugs and wires, and maybe get a tune. just wondering what else there might be, and what are some of the better brands to go with as far as wires. i got a guy that can port the t.b and get me a tune. probably use ngk tr55's for my plugs, and i'll debate on a c.a.i, depending if i can get a good deal on one. thanks!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

also curious about the muffler deletes... do they make it much louder and is it something cheap a muffler shop can do? the exhaust isnt like stainless or titanium or nothing like that is it? exhaust work was hard to find for my z06 for those reasons. thanks again
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no cheap Hp mod for this car

ported tb on stock heads and cam.. 7-10whp-- its been talked about alot and unless your going to get a tune for it.. it will just make problems..coolant bypass- unless you run around in hot weather all the time not a real mod.. do that **** in any cold climate and it will take your car 30 miles to warm up
descreening makes tuning problems apparently... Stock plugs and wires are fine if your under 75k

Last edited by shadyLS6; 04-21-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

factory exhaust is very high quality stainless and will prolly outlast just about any aftermarket system.

do a search on mufler deletes etc.

i picked up 33rwhp from a K&N CAI, muffler delete, and dyno tune.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i've always done the coolant bypass on all my vehicles and never had any problems. i heard the t.b coolant was just mainly for cold cold areas. i mean it gets chilly here, but id rather not have the air turn hot when there is 200 degree coolant running through the throttle body. i'll probably port the tb and leave the screen even tho it seems alot of people descreen them. i want it as reliable as possible. and im not under 100k miles so i guess i'll pull one and check it.

thats pretty good numbers. i'd like to do cai if i can get a deal, and i'll have to see about the muffler deletes, and im probably gonna get a tune after i do a few things.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buddhaz06
just looking into some small cheap easy hp mods for an 05 cts-v. ls6. i was thinkin ported throttle body, coolant bypass, descreen maf, prolly do tune up like plugs and wires, and maybe get a tune. just wondering what else there might be, and what are some of the better brands to go with as far as wires. i got a guy that can port the t.b and get me a tune. probably use ngk tr55's for my plugs, and i'll debate on a c.a.i, depending if i can get a good deal on one. thanks!
idk if the cam is different in the cts and z06 but my dads z06 really woke up with just tune, intake, coolant bypass, and tr6 plugs. putting in a 160* t-stat soon
but u can do ported tb it should help with throttle response mostly.

but a list of cheap mods for u would be coolant bypass, 160* t-stat, plugs, ported tb, intake, and tune
Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
idk if the cam is different in the cts and z06 but my dads z06 really woke up with just tune, intake, coolant bypass, and tr6 plugs. putting in a 160* t-stat soon
but u can do ported tb it should help with throttle response mostly.

but a list of cheap mods for u would be coolant bypass, 160* t-stat, plugs, ported tb, intake, and tune
Why would he put TR6 plugs in a stock internal NA motor? Tell him to put some TR55s in and it will probably feel even better. I wish there was a cheap mod for the CTS-V. Low production and low enthusiast numbers make it a tough one to find parts for. Pacesetter is leading the way with some cheap headers, so we'll see what happens in the future.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

im sure the cams are the same. its only a 5hp different from the ctsv and the z06, which im guessing is the tune and/or the intake setup.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SkullV
Why would he put TR6 plugs in a stock internal NA motor? Tell him to put some TR55s in and it will probably feel even better. I wish there was a cheap mod for the CTS-V. Low production and low enthusiast numbers make it a tough one to find parts for. Pacesetter is leading the way with some cheap headers, so we'll see what happens in the future.
wat the tuner said to use, something about adding more timing to make up for it or something. same thing i run in my tbss
Originally Posted by buddhaz06
im sure the cams are the same. its only a 5hp different from the ctsv and the z06, which im guessing is the tune and/or the intake setup.
i think its the exhaust manifolds but i could be wrong
Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Op its punny you bring this up.... I have been wanting to do this for a long time, Compose a list of home brew mods and try and get it sticky.
I just posted my home brew intake In the DIY pvc Intake thread.
We need to get the cut spring guys and the rear spacer guys on the same page. Mods are out there but it seems that the Caddy badge makes people turn there noses up. I come form the old school cut springs, junk yarding for parts, used parts, spray paint Lots of personal thought and time spent making things from scratch. I would rather sawzall my mufflers off add some nice tips, then spend $1100 on something that is the same dia piping and doesn’t add any performance. Now headers that’s a whole other story. There is no cheap option besides Pacesetter. If you coat them correctly they will last for a long time, maybe not as long as stainless but probably longer then you will own the car. The only draw back is they only come in 1 3/4.
The mods are there I just think that people are afraid to post there homebrew. I will soon be posting a few to help the people that don’t have the budget of a rich man. Ballin on a budget is the best.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here I GO! lol

Muffler Delete with an X-Pipe = $175 sounds freakin awesome. i like it better than those 1k exhaust sytems.

I will be doing the same thing M T Pockets did with his intake.

Springs: i did buy Ground control, however the rear was not low enough for me so i chopped up the stock springs (cut 1 1/2 coils off) did the MM spacers and im sittin low now. cut half the bump stop off = Caddi runs great and smooth! i did leave the Ground control up front. many guys here have cut all 4 springs and have had no complaints. yea, who wouldnt want those bad *** koilovers, but if money is tight, then this is a temp mod untill you can go that route. Right? yes, its a cadillac...so does that mean because we drive cadillacs we are suppose to be to good for these cheap mods?? please! give me a break!

i had a chance to get sponsered by a rim company out of florida. all four forged rims was going to be around $4200. hell of a deal if you ask me. but money is tight, so i picked up these 20's for $700. i like them. only downfall is they are 8.5 all around, owell. i wont loose sleep over it! lol..ok, im done now. sorry for the rant. lol
Old 04-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ferny
I will be doing the same thing M T Pockets did with his intake.
If you need any help with this let me know. I will post some pics when I take it apart to polish it this weekend. That way you can see the bracket that go's to the fan shroud. Also I think this is the largest filter you can fit lol bigger is better.

And homebrew is what started hot roding, Back then guys were filling there blocks with cement, runing exhaust tubing front ends, drilling holes in shocks, it goes on and on. Im not saying it was all safe but it is the reason we all get caught with the mod bug.

None of us would be anywhere if someone didnt try some thing that was out of the box. Just like using Porche 930 cv joints, ford nine inches. What do you think peoples response to the first guy that put a 9" in his gm was? lol Would have loved to been there for that. So come on people get out there and design something.

Sorry OP for the thread jacking rant.

Last edited by M_T_Pockets; 04-21-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Quick Reply: cheap/free mods for 05 cts-v?