Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight difference between chromoly/mild steel

Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weight difference between chromoly/mild steel

What is the weight difference between a 6 point chromoly and a 6 point mild steel roll bar. Like a wolf version
Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
What is the weight difference between a 6 point chromoly and a 6 point mild steel roll bar. Like a wolf version
A 6pt chromoly rollbar is typically around 15-20lbs less than the same mild steel rollbar.

Mike
Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been trying to decide on which cage to go with, been trying to make up my mind if I want to pay the 300 dollars more for 15lbs.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
I have been trying to decide on which cage to go with, been trying to make up my mind if I want to pay the 300 dollars more for 15lbs.
Its not only the weight it's the strenght of the chromoly
Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^wrong..mild steal is strong **** in cages..i can tell you ive seen alot more broken chromoly bars vs steal...there was a big stink about this years ago on yb and alot of people went into detial and did load testing on welds and such...the stuff was sent over to sfi to show that a chromoly cage aint really stronger pretty much..ill look for the thread tomarrow and link it..but im off to bed now
Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

One thing that is misleading is that moly tubing is basically the same weight as mild steel. The inherent weight savings is due to the moly tubing being a thinner wall thickness.

As for strength, moly is stronger & therefore allowed by racing sanctioning bodies to be thinner, for a comparable overall strength, but less weight.

The difference is that mild steel is softer & has more of a tendency to bend upon severe impact, whereas moly has a somewhat torsional property that lets it bend & spring back within certain limits. Above this limit it has more tendency to fracture.

The biggest item with moly is the proper welding so the joints are not brittle. This is likely where most breaks are found... at the weld or within an inch or so of the weld. Moly suspension or cages are not something the average DIY person should attempt to built at home without proper welding training.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree moly should only be welded by a pro and tiged..shoot all cages should be tiged..but you are right moly will fracture and break vs steal bending on high impact..

case in point..all nascar cars are built useing only mild steel an if you dont know nascar cars weight 3500#s now these cars take more impact then a drag car..they not only have to take a impact from a wall but other cars coming at them doing 190mph or so also..they dont get ripped a part an some times even come back out to run laps..

drag cars chromoly at these levels prostocks,pro mods,and 10.5 cars weight 2300#-3k and if you ever seen one hit the wall and then impacted by a car in the other lane your gut will drop..these cars become nothing at all..parts and tubes break and go flying..

i would rather have a cage bend around me then to break apart and become nothing to even support the car anymore..

remember mass x speed x object hit = total impact force..

heres some wrecks
cage comes apart like butter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiEv0j-SzlQ

cant see but his cage had mutiple breaks in it and one right at the a peller on drivers side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ2ovdTp794

nascar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkUg9MV3DhQ
Old 03-28-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...+vs+mild+steel
Old 03-28-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I knew about the stronger so they make it thinner but never knew about the breaking. That's a little scary. If it was that bad I would be surprised the sanctioning bodies would allow it?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, good info guys keep it coming.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

knarly vids
Old 03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moly if your building a race car. Mild steel if your wanting to save your ***!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
I knew about the stronger so they make it thinner but never knew about the breaking. That's a little scary. If it was that bad I would be surprised the sanctioning bodies would allow it?
in drag racing you can run mild steel to a 25.5 (stock floor pans an uni body cars) to 3600#s or 7.50 et..i believe tube chassis cars can go to 25.4...im not sure on the weights and et though seeing ive never wanted to own a tube chassis car.

what i find strange is that they use old aircraft info to get the facts on moly..instead of useing info they gatherd them selfs.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad I made this thread, still leaning towards mild steel. Good info
Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
drag cars chromoly at these levels prostocks,pro mods,and 10.5 cars weight 2300#-3k and if you ever seen one hit the wall and then impacted by a car in the other lane your gut will drop..these cars become nothing at all..parts and tubes break and go flying..
I somewhat agree with you but not this. One of the many differences in cage construction between a pro stock car and a stock car, is that stock cars are built to withstand a 200-mph side impact collision, where as a drag cars are built mainly to enclose and protect the driver in the event of rollover. You can't compare two completely different chassis' built for two different things to argue the strength of their materials. Apples to oranges man, and if mild steel was superior in drag racing I'm sure John Force would be building his chassis with it, because running 300+mph and especially after losing Medlen to a fatal track accident he doesn't build anything but the absolute best for himself or his raceteams (which include 1 daughter in TF/FC and 2 in A/fuel dragsters.)

A shotty built chassis is just that regardless of the construction materials, thats why you never put your cars construction (your life) in the hands of anyone except a skilled professional.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club

From what I understand, when you TIG Chromomly you should heat the joints to a certain temp. before you actually weld it... If you fail to do so it makes the joint kinda brittle or prone or crack.

At least that's the story I heard.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
I somewhat agree with you but not this. One of the many differences in cage construction between a pro stock car and a stock car, is that stock cars are built to withstand a 200-mph side impact collision, where as a drag cars are built mainly to enclose and protect the driver in the event of rollover. You can't compare two completely different chassis' built for two different things to argue the strength of their materials. Apples to oranges man, and if mild steel was superior in drag racing I'm sure John Force would be building his chassis with it, because running 300+mph and especially after losing Medlen to a fatal track accident he doesn't build anything but the absolute best for himself or his raceteams (which include 1 daughter in TF/FC and 2 in A/fuel dragsters.)

A shotty built chassis is just that regardless of the construction materials, thats why you never put your cars construction (your life) in the hands of anyone except a skilled professional.
well its almost like apples to oranges....a nascar car has 1 extra bar on the side vs a pro mod..now we all know that a pro mod has and x and then a funny car cage..the nascar has 3 horizontal bars going across on the doors..now in a structutre 2 bars x'ing is stronger then 3 bars on a horizontal plan not connected at all.In the pics below you will see the nascar 3 bars are connected to the a and b piller bar and also theres another bar going straight threw an down right after the a piller bar..now on the promod the x brace connects to the a and b piller and then the funny car cage connects to the top bar and bottom bar.. so the cars are not designed the same but they are pretty matched up..as you see the nascar has no funny car cage deal around the driver.pics are below..now for force racing..a fuel car must be made of moly so it breaks apart at certain points..you seen one of the break points a couple years ago when force lost his front end..that point has been changed.

nascar

pro mod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weight difference between chromoly/mild steel