LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil leak from the front

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak from the front

I have been seeking out this damn leak for 2 weeks now. What I thought was rear main was out but what I was seeing was oil being blown back from the front of the motor. It's dripping onto the front steering components and blowing back to the oil pan. I can see a small drip coming from around the crankshaft pulley while the car is running but can't really see exactly where it's coming from. any suggestions? I'm thinking the Crankshaft front oil seal because oil seems to have been thrown around a bit.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The easiest thing to do is to clean everything up real good. That will help to pinpoint the exact location.

Other possible oil sources in the front include the valve covers, timing cover gasket, oil pan gasket, optispark seal, water pump seal, and front main.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem with my car before i pulled the motor and did all seals/gaskets. Take it to the car wash. Have a friend drive it there and follow him in another car with a jack and stands. Jack it up and clean the **** out of it underneath. Then drive it and see where its comin from. Sounds dirty but its good for the car and gets the crap off your rack and subframe. I even jacked up the sides and got the tranny, rear end, pretty much just the whole car. Just be prepared to get dirty and wet.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
I had this problem with my car before i pulled the motor and did all seals/gaskets. Take it to the car wash. Have a friend drive it there and follow him in another car with a jack and stands. Jack it up and clean the **** out of it underneath. Then drive it and see where its comin from. Sounds dirty but its good for the car and gets the crap off your rack and subframe. I even jacked up the sides and got the tranny, rear end, pretty much just the whole car. Just be prepared to get dirty and wet.
I would be super careful about spraying underneath with a high pressure hose. Everyone knows what lurks under there...
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

The opti dum dum dum! Yeah I should have mentioned that. Although if it does give any problems, it was already in need of a little help. I can powerwash under my hood with my 114k mile stock opti, its just got an msd cap/rotor and i sealed it good with rtv.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Launching!

So after trying to pinpoint the leak for weeks I took it to a good friend who owns a shop and gave it to him for 2 days. He seems to think it's coming from behind the water pump(2 small o-ring seals). The dealer replaced the pump right before I bought it. So I called them today and they said they would cover it if thats what it is. Has anyone had one or both those seals go out? Just curious as to how much it leaked because I had to put oil in mine about every 2-3days.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
My Brand New 355 had the some issue... Its in the shop right now, i am and would just ^^^^Replace all of the Seals And Gaskets pertaining to the areas in which oil will come from, it will save you a headache in the long run.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Launching!

So took it back to the dealership and they are saying its leaking from crankshaft seal and BIG leak from passenger side valve cover. Got 2 conflicting stories here lol. So I'm going to replace the valve cover gasket and take it back to them monday and see what they say. Anyone have an easier way or tricks for changing the valve cover gaskets?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

valve covers are the easy one
Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95BlkBird
So took it back to the dealership and they are saying its leaking from crankshaft seal and BIG leak from passenger side valve cover. Got 2 conflicting stories here lol. So I'm going to replace the valve cover gasket and take it back to them monday and see what they say. Anyone have an easier way or tricks for changing the valve cover gaskets?
It's pretty easy and straight forward. Just take out the four bolts and they come right up.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Yea looks plain and simple just wondering if they come out as easy as they look lol. The Felpro gaskets good enough?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would bet it is the seal for the water pump.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

One thing at a time man. you got just dig in and do it. It sucks, it's messy, but the gasket cost you 20 bucks or so and a dealer cost you 100+ so you do the math. How bad is it really bugging you, and how much are you really willing to pay some one to do something that most anyone with a 3/8 socket and some common sense of how it works can do? I would save the money for the timing cover. While they can get them out with out taking the cover off, they have to take a lot of other **** off to get to them.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

LT1's are known for a little drip of oil every now and then, but if its puddling then you have a problem...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Launching!

The dealer would do it for free since they replace the water pump when I bought the car 3 weeks ago. Thats the only reason they had my car lol. I can do most myself but if I can get it done for free I'm all for it.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
LT1's are known for a little drip of oil every now and then, but if its puddling then you have a problem...
Maybe it's normal for YOURS to leak, but not mine (or anyone else's I know).
Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Maybe it's normal for YOURS to leak, but not mine (or anyone else's I know).
I have been under several LT1s and they can get a little grimy. I have been under several LS1s and there not grimy just a little dirty. I'm not talking about a drip when the car is running. All I'm saying is that under every LT1 I looked under by someones house the driveway has an oil stain atleast 5in to an 1in, and my 48,000 mile stock short block is no exception
Old 02-27-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

The dealer would do it for free since they replace the water pump when I bought the car 3 weeks ago. Thats the only reason they had my car lol. I can do most myself but if I can get it done for free I'm all for it.

If they changed the waterpump, they probably neglected to change the seal in the timing cover for it, since that requires you to pop the opti off to get the new one on. Most people have luck with leaving the old one in there, but more often than not wtih a new pump it usually toasts the seal (in timing cover, not the orings on the shaft). Couple that with the fact the dealer probably doesn't have the proper tool to install said seal, they probably just left it. More than likely if your valve covers and front of intake aren't leaking, it's probably that seal.

You can get away with a sharpie pen body to do the seal. I was selling the proper tool to do the job (Kent moore wants $65!), but I sold my last batch of them rather quickly.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Launching!

I changed the valve cover gaskets today and the back of the passenger was leaking pretty bad. The problem I'm having is it's not leaking unless its running so I really need to get it up on a rack and just let it run and watch I guess.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I changed the valve cover gaskets today and the back of the passenger was leaking pretty bad. The problem I'm having is it's not leaking unless its running so I really need to get it up on a rack and just let it run and watch I guess.
No need to do that. You can pinpoint a leak on the back by feeling around where the gaskets seat. Start from the very top of the cylinder head. Run a finger around the entire valve cover. If you see or feel oil then most likely it is your valve cover gasket. If the back of the cylinder head is wet then most likely a valve cover gasket. If the entire perimeter of the head and back of the head is dry yet the seal from the intake has oil on it then more than likely the seal between block and intake is bad.
It's possible a corner of the gasket is not seated properly. I've always used a dab of sealant on the corners to keep the gaskets in check when placing them on the engine.

Quick Reply: Oil leak from the front