New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Silverado 5.3L lifter noise.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado 5.3L lifter noise.

Has anyone had issues with the 5.3L ticking when started up? Mine is ticking at cold start up. Sounds like a lifter to me. The noise goes with the rpms. I have used Mobil One since 980 miles, change it every 6,000. The lifter noise is not predictable. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

I have had 2 Silverados that did the exact same thing. Friends does it as well. I think its just a noisy GM motor. Probably nothing to worry about. Does it sound like a sewing machine ? If you could post a video of the noise it would help us better diagnose the issue.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 99 5.3 that has been doing it for 3 yrs. i have had it checked out and the tech told me that the oil pump is loosing it's prime. or when you kill the engine and it sits for a period of time, it takes 10-15 minutes for the oil to completely drain back into the oil pan. when you start up the engine it will have to pump oil back up to the lifters. he said it would be like when you change your oil.
i think that it is the lifters bleeding off just enough for them to knock until they are primed back up..
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by brians91formula
I have had 2 Silverados that did the exact same thing. Friends does it as well. I think its just a noisy GM motor. Probably nothing to worry about. Does it sound like a sewing machine ? If you could post a video of the noise it would help us better diagnose the issue.
Here is the links to the videos.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by yellowjacketfever
i have a 99 5.3 that has been doing it for 3 yrs. i have had it checked out and the tech told me that the oil pump is loosing it's prime. or when you kill the engine and it sits for a period of time, it takes 10-15 minutes for the oil to completely drain back into the oil pan. when you start up the engine it will have to pump oil back up to the lifters. he said it would be like when you change your oil.
i think that it is the lifters bleeding off just enough for them to knock until they are primed back up..
Sounds like the same issue I am having.

Thanks,
Old 01-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Teching In

yep, our 01' burban does the exact same thing, first thing in the am on a cold startup, after a min or so it goes away, ours was loud enough to set the knock sensor off once! so we just let it warm up for a min or so before we take off now.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by olred21
yep, our 01' burban does the exact same thing, first thing in the am on a cold startup, after a min or so it goes away, ours was loud enough to set the knock sensor off once! so we just let it warm up for a min or so before we take off now.
Have you taken it in at the dealer? My dealer says it normal. I don't think so.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

My '06 is my 3rd 5.3 Z71, and every one has done it in cold weather...this one is the worst of the 3, and it's only at 29k miles. I always use synthetic, change every 3k miles. I just live with it, but it pisses me off now and again.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 02WS6SSZ71
My '06 is my 3rd 5.3 Z71, and every one has done it in cold weather...this one is the worst of the 3, and it's only at 29k miles. I always use synthetic, change every 3k miles. I just live with it, but it pisses me off now and again.
My truck does it in cold and warm weather. It started doing it at 8,000 miles, I use Mobil One and change it every 6,000 miles. It is nerve wrecking ! My dealer says it is normal, I think they don't want to do the warranty work.

Thanks guys for all of your replys.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha, you guys have never heard of the piston slap? all ls motors do it. Its not harmful. Just not good to wind em out when cold. the pistons shrink when its cold and rattle a tiny bit until they warm up a bit. then they fill the bore and quiet down. I always let my car warm up for a minute when its cold. but it wont effect reliability
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

This GM bulletin pretty much sums up the noise issues. I have had MANY GM vehicles with the same concern. I always use Mobile 1 oil (not that THAT is any issue), as well. Basically, GM does not consider the noise a "problem". I have driven over 200,000 miles on several vehicles with this condition, it appears to be a non-issue. Am I annoyed with it at times, YES, but I'll NEVER drive another make. Just my .02, guys.

__________________________________________________ _______________
2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2268136
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#02-06-01-022J: Information on Engine Ticking Noise - (Apr 24, 2009)

Subject: Information on Engine Ticking Noise

Models: 2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)

2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2006-2009 Chevrolet Express

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)

2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series

2006-2009 GMC Savana

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

with Duramax™ Diesel Engine RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY, LMM

Please Refer to GMVIS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022I (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax™ diesel engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax™ engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.

Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
haha, you guys have never heard of the piston slap? all ls motors do it. Its not harmful. Just not good to wind em out when cold. the pistons shrink when its cold and rattle a tiny bit until they warm up a bit. then they fill the bore and quiet down. I always let my car warm up for a minute when its cold. but it wont effect reliability
Thanks for the reply. But I do believe your are not quite right on this one. My dads Camaro SS is a LS1 car, it has the "piston slap" that you refer to. My truck is making a different noise than the Camaro. I don't believe it is the same, since my truck is very loud, vs the Camaro. When I start the Camaro it makes the a much different sound before it warms up. My truck on the other, makes a lifter ticking sound, that follows the rpms.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Found a couple more bulletins that might help.
Service Information
2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 643955

Engine Noise on Start-Up, but Only Lasting a Few Seconds
Cause
Correction

Incorrect oil filter without anti-drainback feature
Install the correct oil filter.

Incorrect oil viscosity
•Drain the oil.
•Install the correct viscosity oil.

High valve lifter leak down rate
Replace the lifters, as required.

Worn crankshaft thrust bearing
•Check the crankshaft end play.
•Inspect the thrust bearing and crankshaft.
•Repair or replace, as required.

Damaged or faulty oil filter bypass valve
•Inspect the oil filter bypass valve for proper operation.

Service Information
2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 643956

Upper Engine Noise, Regardless of Engine Speed
Cause
Correction

Low oil pressure
•Perform an oil pressure test. Refer to Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing .

Loose and/or worn valve rocker arm attachments
•Inspect the valve rocker arm, bolt, and pedestal.

Worn or damaged valve rocker arm
•Inspect the rocker arm for wear or missing needle bearings
•Replace the valve rocker arms, as required.

Bent or damaged push rod
Inspect the following components and replace, as required:

• The valve rocker arm

• The valve push rod

• The valve lifter

• The valve lifter guide

• The piston

Inspect the top of the pistons for valve contact. If the top of the piston shows valve contact, replace the piston and pin assembly.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Junglu22
This GM bulletin pretty much sums up the noise issues. I have had MANY GM vehicles with the same concern. I always use Mobile 1 oil (not that THAT is any issue), as well. Basically, GM does not consider the noise a "problem". I have driven over 200,000 miles on several vehicles with this condition, it appears to be a non-issue. Am I annoyed with it at times, YES, but I'll NEVER drive another make. Just my .02, guys.

2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2268136

#02-06-01-022J: Information on Engine Ticking Noise - (Apr 24, 2009)

Subject: Information on Engine Ticking Noise

Models: 2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)

2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2006-2009 Chevrolet Express

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)

2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series

2006-2009 GMC Savana

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

with Duramax™ Diesel Engine RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY, LMM

Please Refer to GMVIS

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022I (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax™ diesel engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax™ engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.

Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.
Thanks for the info it is very much appreciated. I get mad at the noise to, but I wouldn't drive anything else !!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rajcam79
Thanks for the reply. But I do believe your are not quite right on this one. My dads Camaro SS is a LS1 car, it has the "piston slap" that you refer to. My truck is making a different noise than the Camaro. I don't believe it is the same, since my truck is very loud, vs the Camaro. When I start the Camaro it makes the a much different sound before it warms up. My truck on the other, makes a lifter ticking sound, that follows the rpms.
Not to mention how the majority of the 5.3 trucks we have been talking about have IRON blocks, not aluminum (although my '06 is Al, and some '07s may be as well).
I honestly traded my '02 off at 90,000 miles on the one I have now becasue the ticking (really sounded like lifters) became more pronounced, even in warm weather...well, I also have a tendency to want a new vehicle on a yearly basis, but anyway...My '02 was the hardest running 5.3 I've ever been in and I kinda regret letting it go after reading the above SB, especially considering how the noise in my '02 was less pronounced than my '06 has been during the last month. But I'm still with the guy above...would never own another make unless it was a Cummins.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Junglu22
Found a couple more bulletins that might help.
Service Information
2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 643955

Engine Noise on Start-Up, but Only Lasting a Few Seconds
Cause
Correction

Incorrect oil filter without anti-drainback feature
Install the correct oil filter.

Incorrect oil viscosity
•Drain the oil.
•Install the correct viscosity oil.

High valve lifter leak down rate
Replace the lifters, as required.

Worn crankshaft thrust bearing
•Check the crankshaft end play.
•Inspect the thrust bearing and crankshaft.

Damaged or faulty oil filter bypass valve
•Inspect the oil filter bypass valve for proper operation.

Service Information
2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 643956

Upper Engine Noise, Regardless of Engine Speed
Cause
Correction

Low oil pressure
•Perform an oil pressure test. Refer to Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing .

Loose and/or worn valve rocker arm attachments
•Inspect the valve rocker arm, bolt, and pedestal.

Worn or damaged valve rocker arm
•Inspect the rocker arm for wear or missing needle bearings
•Replace the valve rocker arms, as required.

Bent or damaged push rod
Inspect the following components and replace, as required:

• The valve rocker arm

• The valve push rod

• The valve lifter

• The valve lifter guide

• The piston

Inspect the top of the pistons for valve contact. If the top of the piston shows valve contact, replace the piston and pin assembly.
Thank you so much. I will bring the bulletin numbers with to the dealer Monday. I tell the dealer that I believe that it it is a lifter issue, now this may help out.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, i just got home from work and listened to your video...louder than mine, and closer to a knock than mine. Let us know what you find out.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rajcam79
Yeah thats not the normal "piston slap" or "sewing machine" noise I was talking about. I'd be concerned and it would drive me insane but if the dealer says its fine what else can you do ? Does it have good oil pressure ? any loss in power? and how long has it been doing it ? What are you running for oil viscosity?

My Silverados made a similar noise but no where near as loud.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Yeah thats not the normal "piston slap" or "sewing machine" noise I was talking about. I'd be concerned and it would drive me insane but if the dealer says its fine what else can you do ? Does it have good oil pressure ? any loss in power? and how long has it been doing it ? What are you running for oil viscosity?

My Silverados made a similar noise but no where near as loud.
It has good oil pressure, doesn't loose power. It has been doing it since about 8,000 miles, can never pinpoint it. It could do it one day the next day it's fine. It doesn't matter what temp outside is either. I run 5w30 Mobil One and also use a AcDelco PF48 oil filter.

Last edited by rajcam79; 01-15-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Default Lifter Noise

We had a customers truck making the same noise and the inside of this motor is clean, not neglected. The dealer told them new lifters for about 2,000.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Silverado 5.3L lifter noise.