LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Supercharger or NOS

Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger or NOS

Just have a stock 94' Camaro LT1 and want to try and keep the motor stock, other than exhaust and intake stuff. Which would be better? I use the car as a weekend warrior and not alot of highway riding. NOS seems like a better choice becasue I dont need the power all the time but not sure if I'll have to do and motor work for it to work. Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Launching!

I hope you are refering to the actual company NOS, as NOS is not the same as nitrous.

What other mods do you have on the car? As you can raise your HP level a good bit by doing other supporting mods. Full exhaust, better intake, replace the rocker arms for a larger ratio, better fueling, and I think you will be happier. Either route you chose, Id recomend the above supporting mods first.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^like he said it would be better if you had the supporting mods, but in the end my vote is SC
Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

There are many more companies out there than NOS. Look into Nitrous Express, nitrous outlet, zex, etc..
Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Yeah NOS is a company, doesn't stand for nitrous. I blame the fast and the furious for that one lol. Anyways I would do full bolt-ons and then see what you think. If done right you could have a car running late 12's just like that. If you want to go faster after that, then I would spray the car. Just so you are aware with running a supercharger or nitrous many times comes a need for many other things such as larger injectors, fuel pump, extensive tuning, colder plugs, suspension/tires to keep the car on the road etc. etc. So as you can see it really adds up. To do things right I would first invest in bolt-ons and then go with a nice nitrous kit complete with all safety components etc. etc. along with the correct supporting mods so you and your car are safe.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sabastian458
I hope you are refering to the actual company NOS, as NOS is not the same as nitrous.
While NOS is the company the abbreviated word "nos" is widely known to be nitrous oxide. not trying to be an *** but get off it
Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do heads/cam/intake/long tube headers/cat back before I would supercharge. The cost of the sc kits are near $4500 + nowadays unless you can find a "complete good used kit". And with nitrous the initial buy in is cheaper but at $45 - $50 per refill adds up over the long haul.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think your getting in over your head for a stock car. I would first start with some bolt ons. Than maybe a cam if you still want more power.

1. cold air intake
2. Headers/exhaust
3. 3.73 or 4.10 gears
4. pcm tune
5. subframe connectors
6. 1.6 roller rockers

from there you could still get a 52mm throttle body, a crank pulley, ls1 driveshaft, etc. But if you get mods 1-6 you should have a 300rwhp car.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
While NOS is the company the abbreviated word "nos" is widely known to be nitrous oxide. not trying to be an *** but get off it
I don't think so man. Go say "nos" on yellow bullet..
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do full boltons gears and you will be happy
Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I don't think so man. Go say "nos" on yellow bullet..
tell any doctor or medical professional nos and they will know you mean the laughing gas
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

tell any doctor or medical professional nos and they will know you mean the laughing gas
you have to look at it this way. it was not called "NOS" before that stupid movie came out. Kids that call it that have not been around racing their whole life. NOS is a company (nitrous oxide systems) google nos and see what is the first thing that pops up. People that have been around it for years call it the gas , spray, the bottle, giggle gas and other names local to certain areas in the world. When i hear a kid say it around me, i correct them.
to the op, nitrous would be cheaper route. i will say this after you hit it once i can bet you the jets sizes will keep going up. it is addictive also.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

My best friend's dad and my gf are a dentist and I am in medical school.. Never heard anyone say "nos" lol
Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

im about to install nitrous(nos) LOL on my 190k camaro see how that goes... best hp for the $$$ I got a semi new short block coming in.. so im just gonna let it rip until it blows
Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

My best friend's dad and my gf are a dentist and I am in medical school.. Never heard anyone say "nos" lol
I understand why yall despise the slang name but still not incorrect. And I to am a college stupid going into the medical field but am a lowly freshman but HAVE heard a doc tell me it was nos in the tank before I knew better when I sat in on a case
Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I understand why yall despise the slang name but still not incorrect. And I to am a college stupid going into the medical field but am a lowly freshman but HAVE heard a doc tell me it was nos in the tank before I knew better when I sat in on a case
He must have been a noob.. Never heard anyone call it nos in the medical/dental field. I think I would get laughed at if I used that term.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

He must have been a noob.. Never heard anyone call it nos in the medical/dental field. I think I would get laughed at if I used that term.
Maybe he had just watched F&F lol. either way he said it
Old 01-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

I would also suggest the bolt-on route as many have already done.

no SC for a stock motor LTx as they are not known to live all too long under boost

yeh, yeh I know some have lasted, but it's just my suggestion to stay away from FI on a stock motor

so onto bolt-ons

cold air intake
catback or add an electric cutout to your stock catback
long tubes w/ y-pipe
Basic Tune

things to consider

plugs, wires, opti... if not replaced anytime recently
fuel pump ... good step to take if original and being 15 years old
fuel filter ... if not replaced anytime recently since many people forget they have these

gear upgrades are a good step and depending on being auto or manual will make the determination of ratio chosen

if an auto a stall converter will net some huge performance gains

I see 1.6 rockers mentioned and it's a nice bolt-on, but be sure to upgrade valve springs if doing so.

The N20 kit is by far the best bang for the buck, but the bolt-on route first will make for a much more enjoyable ride all the time.

good luck and let me know if I can help in anyway with parts
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every time I hear someone say NOS, I want to punch them square in the jaw.

"How much NAWZ you running?"
"Does that thing have NAWZ?"

DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger or NOS