New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about ls6 yellow springs.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about ls6 yellow springs.

I found a set of ls6(yellow) springs lifters and valves for my trans am, i found them pretty cheap online somewhere and i just wanted to know what everyone thought about them as a upgrade. I know its a good thing to do to get ready for a bigger cam, which id love to have. Im probably going cam, headers on the car and i was just curious if anyone knew a good cam to run with this/ the best cam to run with this/how big a cam i could run with this. Thanks alot

Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are planning on going with an aftermarket cam, you might as well save your money an get a cam package with springs down together. Most of the aftermarket cams will have high .5xx+ lift even down in the low 220 duration. At that point, since they yellow LS6 springs are good for around .550" lift, they won't work with a decent aftermarket cam. We have cam packages with cam, springs, and pushrods at a discounted price. I think you would be better off and save some cash if you wait until you are ready for the cam. Let me know if you have any questions and we'll get you fixed up. If you would like, you can shoot me a PM or something with your plans down the road and we'll see what we can come up with to get you to your goals!

Thanks!
Jon
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think ls6 springs are a little better than the last poster is stating, however get the best springs you can afford since they are a weak spot / cheap insurance. my opinion is ls6 springs are good for 570 lift. some other posters say 580 but thats pushing it to the max.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Why risk it though? If your planning on getting the ls6 cam, fine go with the springs for it. But if your going with anything else go with a corresponding spring. Is it really worth saving a few bucks on springs, then having one break, drop the valve and do a number on your rotating assembly and block?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

When you take into account ramp rates on most new cam profiles now, it is a bad idea to run a LS6 spring on most aftermarket camshafts. You would be asking for trouble putting putting this spring on a .58x lift XER lobe. IMO, the LS6 spring is good for the LS1/6 cams and that is all. I have seen factory cam/spring combo's float on the dyno on more than one occasion. We do have a little experience behind our recommendations. At the point you are buying a more aggressive cam, you need to put a more aggressive spring on to match.

Jon
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

while better springs are cheap insurance they are not free! (aprox $250), i didnt want the original poster to think the factory gm ls6 springs are junk. gm would not have put them on a 2002 zo6 with a factory 6500 redline. am i correct?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
while better springs are cheap insurance they are not free! (aprox $250), i didnt want the original poster to think the factory gm ls6 springs are junk. gm would not have put them on a 2002 zo6 with a factory 6500 redline. am i correct?
You are correct.

Z06 cam if fairly mild, and yellow springs are o.k.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

So its pretty much a agreed fact that if im going to go anything other then a ls6 cam i should probably buy another spring and the ls6 spring isnt the best idea inless i want to mess up the engine.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

You are correct. The yellow LS6 springs are ok with a LS6 camshaft. That being said, would I run that spring on even a 220/220 XE cam with .56x" lift, no I wouldn't. Valve control is critical to ensure the cam will not only make the power it is supposed to make but it also keeps you from tearing up a motor period. You the valves float hard enough at high RPMs, you could easily hit a valve with the piston. At that point, worse case it breaks the valve instead of just bending it, you have the head of a valve in the chamber and destroys the piston, head, block, or all three. That's why valve springs selection with the cam you are running is so critical.

Jon
Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you, that said on our club dyno day ive heard stock ls1 springs flutter / bounce as low as 5800 rpm which OMG i wouldnt be pushing my engine hearing that. for a person like me that doesnt run above 6k rpm im fine. but if your a dude or chick that revs to 6500 or even 7k no question get the best springs you can. cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about ls6 yellow springs.