Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss Of Oil Pressure Shuts Off Fuel Pump???

Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Loss Of Oil Pressure Shuts Off Fuel Pump???

True or False?..........(2001 Camaro SS LS1 Engine)

Last edited by LS1GMCTruck; 10-02-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

You shouldn't loose fuel pressure unless the pump shuts off. If you're thinking loss of "OIL" pressure shutting the pump off, then no, it won't.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure on the Camaro's, maybe some additional item that we don't use on conversions, but the PCM does not receive a fuel pressure signal anywhere, so no. Loss of engine running signal will shut off fuel pump though.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, yeah, I mis-typed. I meant to inquire regarding oil pressure. If oil pressure is lost...OR, say you have a defective oil pressure "sensor" or "sender"...will the computer shut down the fuel pump signal??? thanx
Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Camaro doesnt do this...but I happen to know the 1994 S10 DOES do this. Its built into the oil pressure sending unit. The fuel pump relay wire goes through it, if no oil pressure, no fuel pump. So its just a thought to be able to use it instead
Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jhankinson
The Camaro doesnt do this...but I happen to know the 1994 S10 DOES do this. Its built into the oil pressure sending unit. The fuel pump relay wire goes through it, if no oil pressure, no fuel pump. So its just a thought to be able to use it instead

I don't know about the dime trucks but if it's wired like my thirdgen bird was it doesn't shut the fuel pump off; actually it does the opposite. If the fuel pump relay goes bad then after cranking for a number of seconds the oil pressure builds up to acceptable levels and the switch will bypass the relay and apply direct power to the F/P. It's a kind of failsafe for the F/P relay. Boggled me when I first got my bird and I had extended crank times when the car was cold, but not hot. (talking 10-15 second crank times vs. 2-3 second)
Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

S10's are wired just like third gens, the oil pressure is just a back up system. Sometimes you can still hear the fuel pump run after you shut it off while the oil sender holds pressure, but it's usually only when it's real cold outside and the oil is thicker.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
Thanks guys, yeah, I mis-typed. I meant to inquire regarding oil pressure. If oil pressure is lost...OR, say you have a defective oil pressure "sensor" or "sender"...will the computer shut down the fuel pump signal??? thanx
no, the Camaro LS PCM's do not sense oil pressure, from 97-02. The three wire sensors do go to PCM, but not the typical one wire like you have, thats just to the gage.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iansane
I don't know about the dime trucks but if it's wired like my thirdgen bird was it doesn't shut the fuel pump off; actually it does the opposite. If the fuel pump relay goes bad then after cranking for a number of seconds the oil pressure builds up to acceptable levels and the switch will bypass the relay and apply direct power to the F/P. It's a kind of failsafe for the F/P relay. Boggled me when I first got my bird and I had extended crank times when the car was cold, but not hot. (talking 10-15 second crank times vs. 2-3 second)
Same with the S10

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loss Of Oil Pressure Shuts Off Fuel Pump???