Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

4th gen dirt race car

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen dirt race car

i have a wrecked 00 camaro that was given to me (its stripped) so i was thinking about building something along the lines of a street stock class being powered by an ls1 no one around here has done it, any info, pics, links etc would be awesome and much appreciated. oh and i hoped i posted in the right section
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh... thats cool. CT doesnt have any dirt tracks and the closest I think NY so I don't get a chance to see them but I always liked the concept.

I would figure to hit the dirt racing forums.

On this site, try the drag racing, you may get a hit, or Auto cross.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a rule book from your local sanctioning body. I have done a lot of dirt track racing and at least in AZ I don't think it would fly. I have seen a **** ton of 2nd gens, and a few 3rd gens. But the differance there is that their bodies were all steel, the 4th gen is mostly plastic & fiberglass and I know some groups have rules about body panel material.

They were also cast iron blocks and the LS1 is aluminum so that would put you at an advantage. Those classes are designed to keep cost down and this wouldn't help matters.

If all else fails you could see if they have a practice night where you can go out in a group of similar cars and just have a good time. You could go ahead and build the car just to have a good time with.

Its a great idea and I am curious myself so keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM

hey umm im not sure were your from but i know at my home town track you are not aloud fuel injected engines in the pro stock class. i do know that even though its stripped your gonna have alot of work. Especially making all the panels on the car steel cause your not aloud fiberglass or plastic
Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Teching In

most street stock classes here will not alow unibody cars
Old 08-06-2009, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hippi
most street stock classes here will not alow unibody cars
95% of the street/super/pure stocks I have seen have been 2nd gen F-bodies. They do have full role cages so there is no differance between that and a Monte carlo or something else with a full frame.

Edit: Just saw where you were from, Is it IMCA sanctioned, I know their stock cars aren't allowed to be F-bodies, they are mostly cars like the monte carlo and such. If that is the case that makes a lot more sence. I have been racing IMCA modifieds for 14 years and they have some pretty strict rules. Out in AZ our stock car classes are a little less strict than some of the others.

Last edited by McNord; 08-06-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Teching In

yeah man i really do think its a regional thing,went to florida to run a few times at speedweeks and most of the cars were 2nd gens
Old 08-18-2009, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

a lot of places don't allow torque arm cars so that would rule out 3rd and 4ths.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Teching In

why would a torque arm matter? i find that odd
Old 09-04-2009, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justindavis
why would a torque arm matter? i find that odd
Do you know what the torque arm does?

It helps keep the rearend from rotating (changing the pinion angle) during heavy load which transfers to better traction and keeping the rear wheels planted during accelleration. That would be an advantage over a lot of the other cars on the track and in a class like that keeping cost down is important.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Idea..I ll check the dirt track sanctioned rule here in TN. Also, I ask my friends about it..I have friends involve the dirt track races a lot.

Quick Reply: 4th gen dirt race car