LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Summit Fully Welded Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh.... I'm really not interested in doing the Cut-out. Thanks for the tip though. I'll update this thread accordingly once I find out which direction I'm going to go.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Teching In

One thing you could try is just cutting out the resonator and leaving the sock mufflers on. My buddy did this to his 08 MC SS and it sounds louder than stock...like a 6.0 GTO type sound, but does get a little raspy at higher RPMs...its a happy medium though. Plus, then if you want more you can always swap out the mufflers later....cheap too...like $60 at a muffler shop
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
I honestly don't want it that loud... Definitely looking for louder than stock with a nice, deep aggressive tone without breaking the bank.
I have a set of Heartthrob mufflers (made in Minn), I think they go for about $75 each, been a while since I got them. Double walled, so no drone at cruise and a pretty rich sounding, although fairly quiet rumble at idle outside and under load inside. I have gotten a little bored with it, just picked up a couple of stainless Dynomax Ultraflo's, but the HeartThrobs might be just the ticket for you. Tell you what, I will drop you a PM after I get mine swapped out (if I decide to keep the UF's after hearing them for a week or so), and if you want them, would sell them dirt cheap, like shipping plus a six-pack cheap. Will see if they get mangled up or anything. They do sound like something you might like. If I can figure out my new camera, will make a couple video's inside and out and email it to you if you drop me your address in a PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

You know, I was considering that until I heard a video of it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JISd...rom=PL&index=2

That made me decide against it. I'm going to go with the Summit Race mufflers I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdcNqeI37jM

The mufflers used in that video are actually the Fully Welded model not the Race ones stated is in the description. They sound pretty good, and I will probably be leaving my resonator intact.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

first one is at start up, second one is waaay crappy, probably not worth the time to listen to, but it might give you an idea of relative volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9uSvsoAts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1od-pWGA_Dc
Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06 SS
I have a set of Heartthrob mufflers (made in Minn), I think they go for about $75 each, been a while since I got them. Double walled, so no drone at cruise and a pretty rich sounding, although fairly quiet rumble at idle outside and under load inside. I have gotten a little bored with it, just picked up a couple of stainless Dynomax Ultraflo's, but the HeartThrobs might be just the ticket for you. Tell you what, I will drop you a PM after I get mine swapped out (if I decide to keep the UF's after hearing them for a week or so), and if you want them, would sell them dirt cheap, like shipping plus a six-pack cheap. Will see if they get mangled up or anything. They do sound like something you might like. If I can figure out my new camera, will make a couple video's inside and out and email it to you if you drop me your address in a PM.

Hey will if they don't sell, let me know I'd be interested...
Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speedoffastness
Hey will if they don't sell, let me know I'd be interested...
Sure, no problem. Will get around to swapping them in a week or two
Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

They really don't sound too bad, I just don't want anything used. Thanks a lot for the help though guys! I really appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Well Professor Overdrive (AKA AJ) finally got back to me over the weekend and here is his response:

Hello,

The SUM-63221 is a reversible muffler that will sound more like a turbo muffler.

The SUM-638221 is also a chambered muffler but is not reversible and will sound more like a Flowmaster.

Both will give you good power and the same increase on the same motor.

Thanks for the e-mail.

AJ
I have officially chosen the Summit Race mufflers (SUM-638221) and I will be using Dynomax Performance Butt-joint Band clamps ($8.95) in conjunction with them to connect everything. My tip of choice is a Magnaflow 4" tip.

Thanks for all of your help everyone!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Just a quick addition to this thread. Even though this is not from a Monte Carlo, it is a video of a HEMI powered Dodge Ram truck testing both a Magnaflow muffler and a Summit Race muffler.

http://www.truveo.com/summit-racing-.../id/1467683660

It also helped me decide on my final choice. Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Teching In

You know, I was considering that until I heard a video of it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JISd...rom=PL&index=2

That made me decide against it. I'm going to go with the Summit Race mufflers I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdcNqeI37jM

The mufflers used in that video are actually the Fully Welded model not the Race ones stated is in the description. They sound pretty good, and I will probably be leaving my resonator intact.

It's weird, with the MC SS the tone with the resonator delete isn't as loud and more raspy at higher RPMS. On my Impy it's so much more aggressive and doesn't have near the rasp...I think once I add the DP I won't even need diff mufflers...quite loud enough for me. Oh and I get zero drone with the res delete, some people experience this in the MC...

Any ideas why such a noticeable difference between the two?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

drones from the 4 bangers the tone froms the exhaust manifold and the way the piping is ran
Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

problem with these mufflers and flomasters and thrushes are over timethe baffels will break in them and if the car sits out and you dont paint the mufflers they will rust out fast cheap exhaust arent a caoted meta or polishedl like higher end ones like SLP andMagnaflow there for they become junk in 2 to 3 years
Old 05-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

same goes for tips get nice one not the ones they sell at wallmart..yes there shiny but theyll be fd in a week
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

wow, those Summit mufflers sound pretty good. if I could go back, I'd probably opt to get something other than the Magnaflow catback, simply for the cost. and as far as removing the resonator, it seems to be a hit and miss thing as far as that rattling rasp is concerned. some people get that rattle, some people don't
Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jkksxy1
problem with these mufflers and flomasters and thrushes are over timethe baffels will break in them and if the car sits out and you dont paint the mufflers they will rust out fast cheap exhaust arent a caoted meta or polishedl like higher end ones like SLP andMagnaflow there for they become junk in 2 to 3 years
I'll be getting some flat black, DupliColor High Temp paint for the mufflers. Before anything is installed I'll throw a few coats on them. And I'm definitely going with those 4 inch stainless Magnaflow tips.

Originally Posted by keviiinn
wow, those Summit mufflers sound pretty good. if I could go back, I'd probably opt to get something other than the Magnaflow catback, simply for the cost. and as far as removing the resonator, it seems to be a hit and miss thing as far as that rattling rasp is concerned. some people get that rattle, some people don't
I don't want to take the chance. I'm leaving it. I'll get pix & clips after everything is bought and installed. I can't wait!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

I'll be getting some flat black, DupliColor High Temp paint for the mufflers. Before anything is installed I'll throw a few coats on them. And I'm definitely going with those 4 inch stainless Magnaflow tips.

I don't want to take the chance. I'm leaving it. I'll get pix & clips after everything is bought and installed. I can't wait!
dont forget to paint the welds to just for ever more insurance i like the black mufflers good choice theyll look awesome! I did mine and speed of fastness in gloss black looked amazing
Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Ah yes, good tip. I'll spray over the welds unless I go with the butt clamps I was talking about.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

OK, I'm about to order. Am I 100% correct by going with the Offset IN/Center OUT for my Monte Carlo SS? Thank you!

Also, does $120 for install sound like a lot or is it reasonable? I think that sounds pretty reasonable.

Last edited by RickAKATed10; 05-15-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

120 seems high.

Quick Reply: Summit Fully Welded Mufflers