Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Removing the pressed on bearings off an axle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removing the pressed on bearings off an axle...

On a 9 inch axle, to remove the bearings can I heat it up with a propane torch? Hammer? Cut off with dremel? Reusable? The more I think about it, the less likely I can reuse the same bearings and have to get a new set...

If that's the case, what's the part number I should be looking for 35 spline axles?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a bearing splitter and a press to do it the right way. If done this way you can reuse the bearing just not the lock it is a one time use.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a LS1 backing plate you can strip down th ebacking plate and pull the bearings off without a spreader. Keep a rag wraped around the bearing just incase it decides to split and shoot ball bearings all over the place.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO NOT USE HEAT TO REMOVE THE RETAINER RING OR THE BEARING.

Cut mostly through the retainer ring with a grinder and cold chisel it off. It will not pull off no matter what. Bearing splitter on the bearing will work fine.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
DO NOT USE HEAT TO REMOVE THE RETAINER RING OR THE BEARING.

Cut mostly through the retainer ring with a grinder and cold chisel it off. It will not pull off no matter what. Bearing splitter on the bearing will work fine.
I went through the same situation. The seal won't come off. I tried using a hydraulic air press at 25 tons It bended the owners equipment and on another shop a piece of metal support almost cut the guy's leg when it flew off the press. You have to cut it there is not other way. After that you can get the bearing and change whatever you want. Buy a new seal.

Quick Reply: Removing the pressed on bearings off an axle...