New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Flow Direction

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Flow Direction

Hi, I'm new here and new to the Gen3/Gen4 world. All of my experience has been with the old SBC's. I have a question on the flow of engine coolant through the radiator as I couldn't find anything on the subject in my search. I understand these motors are traditionally cooled ie: Block to heads instead of reverse cooled ie: Heads to block like the LT1. At least that's how I understand it thus far. My question is in which direction does the coolant flow through the radiator? With the thermostat mounted on the bottom hose/water pump instead of the top, is the coolant being pushed by the water pump through the T-stat and upwards through the radiator and back into the top of the motor? Or is it being pumped out the top of the motor flowing down and being pulled up into the motor through the T-stat? I have a friend who works at Advance Auto parts here in town and he told me he's positive the coolant is being pushed down the bottom radiator hose and out of the top back into the motor. He called it a reverse flow water pump system. I looked at my Camaro (ls1) and my Silverado with the 6.0 and can't figure out how its flowing? Any help is greatly appreciated! It's driving me nuts as I'm trying to learn this new stuff...

Quick Reply: Coolant Flow Direction